Great game!

2007-03-22
2013-03-03
  • Andrew Fenn
    Andrew Fenn
    2007-03-22

Great game I noticed that you didn't have a download for Ubuntu Linux yet. Is anyone working on one that you know of?

Also I was wondering about your choice of using FMOD Ex instead of something under the LGPL like openAL?

• Mika Halttunen
      Mika Halttunen
      2007-03-22

Thanks! :)

Check out this thread on the Ogre forums: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29147
      Linux version should be coming; it's definitely possible to get in running on Linux.. :) I'll release new Funguloids version as soon as Ogre Eihort stable gets released (very soon).

I chose FMOD Ex simply because I have used FMOD before and liked it, it's very simple and powerful. I do know that it being closed source is a problem for some, but to me personally it was the best choice.

• Andrew Fenn
      Andrew Fenn
      2007-03-22

Just wow... You're so talented.. You did both the artwork and programming?!

I wish I was half as talented as you. I am still at university doing games programming and I am about to start my own ogre game so looking at your code and how you have done things is really going to help me.

About FMOD Ex its not really a problem for me. I was just thinking about trying to get your game included into Debian and Ubuntu (With your permission ofcourse). It is just Debian would probably reject it with FMOD Ex.

• Mika Halttunen
      Mika Halttunen
      2007-03-22

Heh, thanks again.. :) Yeah, I did both. That's what I've always done. Just limits the graphics a great deal, since I can't do humans (for example) properly.. :P

I think once the Linux version is out, somebody will port it to openAL or something else eventually, and then it can be accepted to Debian. Hopefully. :)

• Andrew Fenn
      Andrew Fenn
      2007-03-23

I am working on trying to get it compiling and running on Ubuntu.

I am having some problems because there is not an up to date version of Ogre in the Ubuntu repositories, so I am currently focused on getting that situation fixed.

• Mika Halttunen
      Mika Halttunen
      2007-03-25

Hi, Ogre 1.4.0 was released today, and so was Funguloids v1.05. I suggest you to get those. :)

• Mika Halttunen
      Mika Halttunen
      2007-04-15

I released a simple Linux version. Works fine on Ubuntu, although the sounds don't work on my box if another app is using sound, since the FMOD Ex tries to use OSS only and not ALSA.. :P I was thinking of porting it to Audiere, but then I noticed it doesn't support ALSA either.. OpenAL doesn't seem very easy to use to me. FMOD should support ALSA, but on my box it only finds OSS driver.

• Andrew Fenn
      Andrew Fenn
      2007-04-27

I just downloaded the Linux source from the main site. I had been waiting for Ubuntu to release Feisty Fawn so I could could get a newer version of the Ogre 3D package before starting but now another stable release of Ogre is out which I can not download. doh!

I'll send you another message if I get any problems :D.

• Nicolas Albert
      Nicolas Albert
      2007-05-23

I build Funfuloids succefully on Ubuntu Feisty 64 bits, after build the new version of Ogre, and OIS.
      I have make packages with "checkinstall".

The game run fine, but the music is a little "crack-crack", sound rate preference isn't available.

• Mika Halttunen
      Mika Halttunen
      2007-05-23

I think you need to adjust your ALSA settings to prevent the cracks. Read up about it on INSTALL.

• Md1053
      Md1053
      2007-06-05

really impressive graphics. The way you used bump/normal map or whatever is sweet. But gameplay should be varied or the player gets bored/frustrated too early.
      Why don't you add a few more 3d details into the background?

• Orion
      Orion
      2007-07-18

I've done compiling it on ubuntu (late because of some ogre compiling problems), 1.06 runs perfectly on it.

What an astonishing game, really ! Simple concept, but really fancy graphics and smooth gameplay.
      Do you plan of a control with mouse gestures instead of buttons ?
      Meanwhile, I wonder if you can do another song of the same quality as Maryland In May ?
      I'm listening to it even when I'm not playing ^^

p.s. : Sorry for my english 'cause I'm french ;)