Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

java programs interfere eachother?

Help
2005-03-02
2012-12-07
  • I make backups with FullSync on an external usb2-hdd.
    Yesterday, I received a little yellow box and a yellow mark in the systemtray (next to clock), saying something like:
    java.exe (or javaw.exe): can't read 'file'.
    These were references to external usb2-hdd.

Now I think it has something to do with MrPostman (http://www.sf.net/projects/mrpostman/), which also is written in java and runs as a service on the machine from which I want a backup.

When I disable MrPostman service, Fullsync does run Exact backup normal.
    I only run exact backup.

Is it possible java programs interfere eachother?

• Jan Kopcsek
      Jan Kopcsek
      2005-03-07

actually it's not a problem with both programs being written in java, it's the typical file lock. the same happens with outlook: the mail proggy opens the file with a read lock and keeps it open. now fullsync wants to read too and gets an error. someone reported that there is a way to handle this case silently in winxp with ntfs but in all other cases the user needs to close the locking app in order to make a backup of the files.
      the only current problem of fullsync is that it badly reports the problem to the user ;)

• I don't think it's a typical filelock, since MrPostman is an email gateway for local POP clients, it should only lock the mailfolder and files, right? I do know, when MrPostman is running, there are files FullSync can't read which are outside the mailfolder, like normal documents.
      Some sort of java leak then?

• Jan Kopcsek
      Jan Kopcsek
      2005-03-24

can't really imagine it's a java problem. maybe postman keeps them open for some other reason? or is sth like the readme? i guess postman doesn't read it's own readme ;)

mm, it seems strange that java itself generates this error as i haven't seen this before. strange indeed... lets wait a little, maybe the problem vanishes ;) (say: sorry, i guess it'll take some time till i can try fixing it as there are many other bugs and things and so on and this seems quite time intensive)