Menu

Usage Scenarios

2004-12-14
2012-12-07
  • Jan Kopcsek

Jan Kopcsek - 2004-12-14

Hello fellows,

i want to use this thread to gather ideas where fullsync can (already) be used or could be used (if one or another features is added). Because the architecture is made as flexible as possible there are many usage scenarios one might not expect for this tool.

So, if you use fullsync in a special way, post it here and explain it a little bit. If you don't, you may get inspired here for what tasks you might use it.

Lets start with the most simple ones:

Publish/Update of a website:
    i have several websites i'm working on and have working copies of them on my local computer (for backup and easier development). So, after changing something, i use fullsync to apply all the changes to the remote location and voila... it's updated. no need to track changes, a second change to review changes and no chance to forget changes :). additionally it checks whether the remote location changed.

Backup:
    To not use proprietary software i use fullsync to backup my files from disk to disk. Therefore i schedule a profile with type Backup Copy or Exact Copy to run every few hours.

• Howard Chong

Howard Chong - 2004-12-25

I am a graduate student and I have a laptop, desktop, and access to a UNIX machine on campus. I use the briefcase feature of Win2000 to sync the laptop and the desktop, but the UNIX machine doesn't have a sync system. I tried FTP, but that involves a bit of tweaking to get it only to update changed files and to download any new files.

So, I want to use FullSync to synchronize desktop to FTP server. I have journal articles and data, so I will often have files that are bigger than 10MB.

• Jan Kopcsek

Jan Kopcsek - 2004-12-28

Another nice usage of fullsync is import of remote data/code if cvs or svn is not possible. So, i was doing some extensions on a php bases webapplication for some one else and needed the existing code to integrate and test my extension. To stay up to date, he made his files available via ftp (readonly) and i "imported" them to my local drive. This would also work bi-directional if the other one is giving you write access.
      Like a two-person cvs ;)   (actually it's not limited to 2 persons)

Of course it lacks the history feature of cvs.

• Jochem Jean van de Groep

> Backup:
      > To not use proprietary software i use fullsync to backup my files from disk to disk. Therefore i schedule a profile with type Backup Copy or Exact Copy to run every few hours.

Yes, me too. With this great and simple software I now make backups on regular basis - at the end of each day fullsync makes a backup on an external hdd.

For website dev. I'll have to try.

Thanks.

• jjo

jjo - 2005-03-20

I am trying to use it to keep my office data area (available via FTP) backed up at home for security reasons. So Source is FTP and destination is local "Exact Copy".

• ok future

ok future - 2005-03-29

I've just starting using fullsync to combine my onging backup and archives. I'm a graphic designer. When I finish a project, I can delete the files from my machine -- I already have an archive with my sync'd files on a usb drive.

• Ingo Schaefer

Ingo Schaefer - 2005-05-13

Hello,

I just found this project looking for some tool to backup a weblog. Seems very interesting and I therefore recomment adding RDF / RSS as remote interface. One has to consider there, that the weblog-system may only give you the last e.g. 10 Entries - so some kind of periodic retrieval is necessary (and some intelligence to match with the local copy.)

For web-pages - wouldn't it be nice to have some cvs as "local" part as well?
      I use cvs for managing and I have to make cvs export + ftp upload manually. If this could be included, it will be great, I think.

Greetings,
      Ingo

• Rene Stach

Rene Stach - 2005-11-02

I am using fullsync to keep our project data on the server in sync with my local files. I am sometimes out of office and it is good to have all files available even if there is no connection to the Internet.

I am syncing using file:// and sftp://. The project directories often contain more than 1,000 files and contain sometimes more than 1GB of data.

1GB over SFTP over a slow connection is no fun. Features like syncing only selected files, progress indication, stop and pause are really useful.

• James

James - 2006-02-22

I am a university student who works on projects both on my laptop and desktop computer, and want to make sure that I have the most recent version on whichever machine I'm using.  Fullsync lets me do that process pretty much automatically.