hi, this was posted as http://bugs.debian.org/529-39
The channels.conf that I generated from my new DVB-S receiver is enormous, and that is without even being subscribed to any paid channels.
In the freevo channel browser, with large TV-friendly fonts, it can be difficult to browse so many channels.
It is desirable to have all possible channels declared in the TV_CHANNELS config, but with a way of filtering them when browsing. The user could be given a choice of filters:
- show only channels that are preferred for the user's region (i.e. if the user is in London, exclude the regional channels)
- show only channels for selected genres (e.g. movies, sports)
- show only channels for which a program guide is available
- show only channels that meet program guide criteria (e.g. showing a movie that starts within 2 hours)
- show only channels on a user-defined list
If the user could combine or customise multiple filters using their remote, or save a preferred customisation for re-use later, that would be really useful.