Menu

FreeTTS With J2Me

2010-03-08
2013-04-25
  • Umar Lateef

Umar Lateef - 2010-03-08

Hi.
    I want to create mobile based speech to text converter.Can FreeTTS help me ?I mean do FreeTTS also work in mobile applications developed in J2ME(S60Sdk)?

• i30817

i30817 - 2010-03-24

J2ME doesn't have threads right? Other than the server - client model i don't see how.

BTW i am looking for a way to call voice speak without a additional thread (only one thread).
    I have currently a a complex timer scheme to send "word" events of the text being spoken, but i'm having a few lalatency problems even adjusting the times. I am looking to simplify it. I think this could be done continuation passing style by wrapping the audio output stream to send the events, which would remove a major source of latency (synchronization) and simplify my code, even if other problems would be exposed (latency in the output buffer).

• Dirk Schnelle-Walka

There is some basic thread support in J2ME. Usually, this is strongly limited to max 2 threads.

FreeTTS is not designed to work in these enviroments. So you should look for something different. There is also JSAPI 2 for J2ME environments. Unfortunately, not much happens here. I started to work on a basic layer for that but there is still a long way to go.

Dirk