Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Model designers

2006-10-16
2013-04-19
  • There are quite a lot of people out there who, like me, design and build model boats.
    Freeship is almost ideal for us amatuers to design, build and the sail our creations.

I say almost as one area I would love to see addressed is a few simple building tools.

Currently I have to export from Freeship into another program to extract the station shapes onto a pattern which can then be printed, cutout and stuck to plywood or similar, jigsawed etc etc.

Most hull/plug building is carried out inverted so the base is a set line somewhere obove the deck level parallel to the WL.
    I hope this is clear
    :)

Mike Javelin

• see http://static.flickr.com/9/13250953_9b3d5fdf49.jpg
      for the sort of thing I mean.

• Marven
        Marven
        2006-10-16

Mike,

I understand what you mean. In my opinion this problem can be solved quite easily by adding some sort of a rectangular dummy patch above your model. Use the same length and beam as your model and make sure it is used for intersection calculations. This way all ordinates should have a straight line at their top at the same height which can be used as your building-jig line. If this explanation is a bit obscure just let me know and I'll try to post a picture. The only thing you'd need is a feature that prints all stations one by one at the desired scale.

• "The only thing you'd need is a feature that prints all stations one by one at the desired scale."

Can we have one of those then please ? :)

• Marven
        Marven
        2006-10-16

Sure, maybe it will even be incorporated in version 3.0 although I cannot promise that at this stage.

• I have another problem:
      If i do the modelling in the right size (65 cm waterline for a RG65) i can't read the displacement. It should be around 1 kg. If there would be an option to set the digits after the komma this would be solved.

• Or you may design for 65 *Centimeter*!

Freeship! will give your displacement in Grams. That is, your RG65 design would be around 1000 (Thousand) Grams, or a bit less (if you are able to build light. (Remember to consider the about 40 cm^3 = 435 grams for the Lead Ballast Bulb!)

Obviusly, Dimensions would be METRIC.

Good Look!
      Fredo (Valencia)
      :-)