LINUX Howto

2006-05-16
2013-04-19
  • I am completely new with Linux. I am now running Suse 10.1 with KDE. I like this OS very much. Is there a detailed "how-to" sort of explanation anywhere explaining how to run freeship in Suse 10.1?

It would also be nice to have such information in this forum. Please post....

thanks

• svandersluis
      svandersluis
      2006-05-20

Hi,

Under Linux a program called Wine is available, http://www.winehq.org

Under SUSE you can install Wine using YAST (if I'm not mistaken).

Fedora has its RPM, Debian its famous APT or APTITUDE or SYNAPTIC, all of them are package managers.

Now from the command line type: wine /path/to/FreeShip.exe

Note: your command line is case sensitive!

P.S. I'm successfully running FreeShip 2.6 under Debian 2.15 - Gnome2

• Yes, Wine is all very well (indeed, damn useful!) if you are running Linux on 32-bit i86 hardware, but is of no help at all if you run Linux on some other architecture (I'm running Linux on several Sparc64 boxes and I'm obliged to run Free!Ship on a SunPCi II card running Windows inside a Window on my KDE/Solaris desktop - the card has only a 733 MHz celeron and Windows, of course, is diabolically awful).

Some clues as to what work is needed to port Free!Ship onto other Unices on other hardware would be useful if only encourage someone to feel they could contribute to the work !

Andy

• Freeship will not work with KDE.   Easy way is to load Linux again with Linux Mint Main Edition and it will help you to load wine and to install freeship open wine, copy the compressed "freeship.zip.etc? " into a sibdirectory of "program files" called "freeship" then extract.  to run execute wine via the "wine file viewer" icon on the sesktop then execute the execuatble file to start Freeship.or create a desktop icon with the executable line something like this -  env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.wine" wine "C:\.wine\drive_c\Program Files\Freeship\FreeShip.exe" with the quotes but filenames and paths to suit your installation.   To see all the files/folders starting with a DOT as in .wine , in your linux file browser tick the check box to show "hidden files"