Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

New to feeship

2007-11-30
2013-04-19
  • I have just started working with freeship.  I would like to use it to build hulls for kayaks which will be built with plywood using the stitch and glue process.  The lines of a kayak with 5 chines get complex.  I also build white water dories.  These boats are very simple.  So I am starting with a dory design while I learn.  I have a boat which seems ok when I look at.  I can rotate it around and it seems I am on the right track.  To make the bottom chine edge I used the crease function.

When I use the develop plates function to get the points for the plywood, I only have one layer.  I can't seem to figure out how to get more then one plate to show up on the plates view.  If I add a layer it is empty.  I don't know how to separate the bottom of the boat from the side so I get the plate plot points for the bottom and sides.  I don't know how to work with layers.  Also, no matter what I try, the options under the "Face" drop down are always not selectable (they are always grayed out).

This dory has a transom. I also can't seem to figure out how to close the hull with a a face for the transom.

I am a network software engineer but, have no CAD background so the terminology in the Freeship Manual pdf file is not that clear to me. I have been reading the manual and using the trial and error method to learn.  Click here and there, see what happens etc.

Any help on how to proceed would be welcome.

So far, this a great program.

Larry
    lhedrick@mountaindogs.net

• First, make sure you have the "show interior edges" -button active, then in the layer dialog box create a new layer and name it, select colour and other properties to suit your needs and close the dialog. Back in the design you should now see a dense mesh showing the interior edges. From these select those you want to assign to a new layer and then from the layers dropdown box select the formerly created new layer, then press unselect. Now you have separated the two layers and they should show as separated also in the developments window.

• It complex to explain, but once learned, easy to do.

The Control-L keystroke opens the "Layer Properties" dialog box.  Explore this.

(notice that by default new layers are not 'developable'.  Check the
        'developable' box to allow a layer to be developed into panels.)

Also explore the "Layers" commands found on the menu bar.

To specify which layer a control surface belongs to you must have the
        "show interior' button toggled on.  This button is found both on the
        menu bar and also in the Visibility menu.

There are a variety of ways to group together control surfaces into a
        panel, but one of the easiest is to select the ones you want by right
        clicking on them with the mouse and click the "Autogroup" button found
        in the Layers menu.  This groups the selected control surfaces into a new layer.

Then do a Control-L and adjust this new layer as needed, naming it,
        coloring it, (be sure it is check 'developable', etc..

When you create a new control surface it becomes part of the currently
        active layer.  If you want a new surface to belong to a new layer,
        create the new layer first.