Java 1.4.0+ problem

2004-11-18
2013-04-11
  • I've been unable to use FreeMind on any of the computers I have access to, except one with the old version of Java.  It will not work with the most recent versions.  Is there an updated version of FreeMind that fixes this bug?  I really like the program and hope to be able to update to a newer version.  caballerango@yahoo.com

• Hi,

please explain yourself. We need details: which OS, which Java, what is the error message, etc.

Chris

• JeffreyBacon
      JeffreyBacon
      2004-11-20

The message states:  "Warning:  Freemind requieres version Java 1.4.0. or higher.  (your version 1.3.1_01)."  However, I uninstalled the old version and installed the most recent version (that on the page link that appears in the FreeMind installer sequence).  My OS is XP Professional.

• JeffreyBacon
      JeffreyBacon
      2004-11-20

and, I'm using j2re1.4.2_06 (JavaWebStart).  None of the other versions on the Sun Page worked either.

• The message states: "Warning: Freemind requieres version Java 1.4.0. or higher. (your version 1.3.1_01)." However, I uninstalled the old version and installed the most recent version (that on the page link that appears in the FreeMind installer sequence). My OS is XP Professional.  None of the other versions on the Sun Page worked either.

• I had the same problem.  Did you ever get an answer?

• Christian Foltin posted a question, but I haven't received any information other than what's posted in this thread.

• Have you tried running Freemind .8 beta and upgrading to the new JRE 1.5? I am running XP with no problems at all.

• I have the same issue on Windows 2000.

• jdem
      jdem
      2004-12-20

Another curious problem.

Freemind seems to require the JRE and not the SDK+JRE platform. I was obliged to install the JRE (1.4.0._x) allthough I am usually using netbeans based upon the java SDK+JRE.

jdem

• What comes to mind is that perhaps SDK does not put Java into the path, that is PATH variable, unlike JRE. That makes sense as, in general, you may want to copile your programs with older SDK for compatibility reasons while running newer JRE (which is actually what I'm doing). If SDK would put its java virtual machine into the path, it would not work that easily.

• jdem
      jdem
      2004-12-21

Thanks for the reply.

Then I searched what was in PATH: nothing relative to java or netbeans or SDK or JRE !
      Then I searched to what application was linked .jar: runidew.exe a launcher of netbeans ! even if the JRE is installed.
      Nothing of obvioulsly relevant in the registry !

I am quite puzzled !

PS: I've installed SDK+JRE and JRE. It is not very satisfactorily but it works.

• After simply sticking the file on my desktop, I had great results for a while, but I ran into problems eventually.  For example, I can't convert files to html.