Error message in Freemind - Please help

2009-03-24
2013-04-11
  • nick riches
    nick riches
    2009-03-24

Hi

My Freemind has suddenly stopped working (Windows system). I get the following error message -

Error while parsing file:freemind.main.XMLParseException: XML Parse Exception during parsing of the XML definition at line 1: Expected: <

I've tried reloading Freemind, but I get the same message.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

• Hi Nick,

sounds like an xml input file that freemind trys to parse on startup is empty or otherwise corrupted. If the error message contains the name of the file then try to move it away before starting.

You might also follow the advice in http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Asked_Questions and 1) have a look into  %USERPROFILE%\.freemind\log.0 or 2) start freemind.bat from the directory %ProgramFiles%\freemind

Including the freemind version in your post is also a good idea.

Volker

• Gabi
      Gabi
      2009-04-15

I´m working with OS 10.3.9 and my massage is:
      Error while parsing file:freemind.main.XMLParseException: XML Parse Exception during parsing of a map element at line 30: Expected: =

Maybe you can help also.

:-/

• Wavey
      Wavey
      2009-04-20

Me too, I am getting the same problem on windows XP, but the same file is ok on Vista.

freemind_version = 0.9.0 RC 3; freemind_xml_version = 0.9.0
      java_version = 1.4.2_06; os_name = Windows XP; os_version = 5.1

Error while parsing file:freemind.main.XMLParseException: XML Parse Exception during parsing of the XML definition at line 1: Expected: <

My mm file is called canada.mm, the the log files show .......

file:///F:/My Documents/Canada.mm; Line#: 1; Column#: -1
      javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Document root element is missing.
          at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.fatalError(TransformerImpl.java:739)
          at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:715)
          at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:1129)
          at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:1107)
          at freemind.main.Tools$1TransformerRunnable.run(Tools.java:964)
          at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
      20-Apr-2009 10:30:26 freemind.main.Tools getUpdateReader
      INFO: Updating the file Canada.mm to the current version. Done.

STDERR: Error while parsing file:freemind.main.XMLParseException: XML Parse Exception during parsing of the XML definition at line 1: Expected: <20-Apr-2009 10:30:26 freemind.main.Resources logException
      SEVERE: An exception occured:
      freemind.main.XMLParseException: XML Parse Exception during parsing of the XML definition at line 1: Expected: <
          at freemind.main.XMLElement.expectedInput(XMLElement.java:2938)

I have opened the file in xmlspy and the xml parses ok.
      Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I love the product.

Many Thanks

Dave

• Wavey
        Wavey
        2009-04-20

Ok, I worked it out

My file had <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> appended to the front of the file, when I remove this line all is ok.
        I am assuming this line is getting added by PocketFreemind (I use this app on my PDA), I'll add it as an issue on that forum.

Many thanks

Dave

• Wavey
          Wavey
          2009-04-20

More info to the above ....
          Just opening the file in notepad and saving again stops this bug.
          I suspect it's an encoding issue, but I'm no expert.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Best regards

Dave