Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Auto save path question

2009-12-06
2013-04-11
  • Peter Davis
    Peter Davis
    2009-12-06

I have must lost a load of work and realise there is  a problem with autosave - first of which is that i cannot find the directory and hence am not sure any autosaving is occuring.

On a Mac using 0.9.0 RC4

Settings are Time for Automatic Save 500000

Delete Automatic Saves at Exit (not checked)

Number of Different Files for AutoSave 10

Path to Automatic Save 10

Path to Automatic Saves freemind_home

But when I search to find a directory freemind_home I cannot find this. Do I need to create this directory? IF so where?

Appreciate any help you can provide esp if it helps me find a saved version of what I lost.

• Here is the documentation for the automatic backup function:

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Autosave

The location of automatic backups:

Per default, the automatic backups are stored in the FreeMind's home folder, which is usually the subfolder ".freemind" of the user's home folder.

What you refer to as "freemind_home" should be the folder ".freemind" located at your home folder. But I do not know that for sure on Mac. In any case, I would try searching for the folder ".freemind" on your computer if the above instructions do not help.

-Dan

• Peter Davis
    Peter Davis
    2009-12-08

thanks for the reply - there is a freemind directory in the Applications folder in which are the following common, controller, extensions. main, modes, preferences, view. In none of these do i get a sense of autosave files - perhaps there is an incorrect Path in the Preferences which means nothing is getting save.

• You should be looking for ".freemind" folder instead of "freemind". You should be looking for the folder in your home folder or home directory, not in the "Applications" folder, which likely contains FreeMind binaries AKA executables.

I do not know what path to the home folder is typical for Macs, neither do I have an access to a Mac.

I searched for "mac home folder" using Google and found some web sites. One of the web sites tells me that, on Mac OS X (there are other versions of Mac OS), the path to the home folder of the user is

/Users/(username)

meaning that, if your username is "petednz", the path to the folder in which FreeMind 0.8.0 and later stores backup files should be

/Users/petednz/.freemind

In any case, if you are using FreeMind 0.8.0 or later, search for ".freemind" with a dot at the beginning rather than "freemind". The folder ".freemind" can possibly be invisible; in Linux/Un*x, folders starting with a dot are invisible.

If this does not help, maybe some of Mac OS X users could help you.

-Dan

• Peter Davis
    Peter Davis
    2009-12-10

Well thank you. I feel so stupid now. But using Finder, even when 'hidden files' are showing does not return that result. But yes it is there. So again thanks. I really enjoy using this product and though having tried MindMap and XMind keep coming back to it for its simplicity.