Freemind file converted

nana777
2011-11-09
2013-04-11
  • nana777
    nana777
    2011-11-09

I created a Freemind document a few weeks ago. When i tried to open it today, it wouldn't let me. It reported an error saying that the document I was opening was created with an older version. I only have version 0.9 and I didn't convert the document to anything. Everytime I open the document, it asks me to convert it to new format. If i selected yes, it reports a Java error within the parent node but if i select no, it reports that the document can't be opened.

Could you please help me open the Freemind document I created? It's very important for me.  Could you advise me what i need to do to open this document.

• nana777
    nana777
    2011-11-09

Btw, this is the error reported after I selected "yes" (to convert the file).
    javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: Content is not allowed in prolog.

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2011-11-10

nana777, in meanwhile and in case map won't be opened with FreeMind at all after all trials, to get text away from it, you may change its extension to .xml and open it with a web browser; some of them will show foldable XML tree, where you'll find all entered nodes' texts; others will just show plain XML, which is not that convenient, but still suitable to get texts off. If there are any.

And about conversion… it's hard to guess what's going wrong, but which Java version do you use and under which OS?
    And If there's no secrets, can you post your map somewhere and give us link, so we'll be able to check?

• nana777
    nana777
    2011-11-10

Hi Logicdaemon,

I'm using Java 1.7.0 from Oracle and OS is Windows Vista 32-bit. Attached is the link to the file I created. Kindly check whether the file is retrievable or not.

Meanwhile, I'll try what you suggested above and let you know. Thanks

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2011-11-11

You may try not what I suggested.
    It's no FreeMind file, there's garbage inside instead of what should be. No markup, no text, just garbage.

I don't think FreeMind was able to do it at all, as it writes file with xml methods, and one way or another file must be XML after written by FreeMind. Probably this is another file, just named to match FreeMind extension. Was it restored after deletion or was it encrypted?

I am not developer or author of FreeMind, so I can be missing something. I doubt anything can be restored from that file anyway.

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2011-11-11

Also, look to directory

%userprofile%\.freemind\

While FreeMind works, it saves backups of opened/edited mindmaps there. If it closes successfully, they are removed, but if it crashes, they left there to pick up. Even if they are deleted, there always are some chances to undelete them (with something like Recuva for example).