Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

0.9.0beta16

2008-03-10
2013-04-11
  • John Metcalfe
    John Metcalfe
    2008-03-10

Cracking improvement on 080 - stopped me drifting to mindjet.

One niggle though!  When you move a node from the rhs to the lhs the subnodes don't flip over so that they are pointing away from the centre.

Is there a way of acheiving this?

Thanks

• Ken Robertson
      Ken Robertson
      2008-03-11

G'day jametcalfe,

Umm, yes they do.

When you move the node, where are you grabbing the original, in the body of the node, or on the grab handle and the junction of the edge and the node? 

If you grab the handle, you'll see a 4-arrows pointers (that probably has a real name) and an oval.  When you drag the handle, the oval will turn red when the node location passes the junction of the edge and the parent node.  When you grab the node body, the mouse pointer will acquire a rectangle on the tail, and the node will show a grey gradient.  Dragging the node on to the root will display a gradient at the left of the root, drop it when you see that.  Does that help?

I used to have a little flash animated screen cap in the gallery displaying this, but the free hosting site has folded.  Anyone know where I can stash a .HTML + a .SWF?  Sourceforge won't

--
      Regards
      Ken

• John Metcalfe
      John Metcalfe
      2008-03-11

Thanks Ken - got the grip of that now.

Is there any way to:
      1) stop the nodes moving relative to each other? I drag one and the others on the same side all follow :-(

2) When i create a new node with about 4 already in position on one side, I cannot position this new node to where I want it. The system overrides seemingly in random positions on the same side. And then if I cut the new node in the hope of replacing it somewhere else the system distorts all the node positions giving them very long branch lengths.

Thanks for you time on this.
      John

• Hi,

try to reset all positions first (by "select all" and "reset position"). Now, if you move nodes than by dragging them in the middle and not in the front of the nodes,

HTH, Chris

• Ryan
      Ryan
      2008-03-29

Hi,

I had missed the 'reset position' option. Brilliant!

This is essential since free movement of nodes is now allowed.

The option is under the format menu on the main toolbar, but not in the right-click menu -- in case others had missed it, too.

Ryan

• Dom Delimar
      Dom Delimar
      2008-04-02

Ken: "If you grab the handle, you'll see a 4-arrows pointers (that probably has a real name) and an oval. When you drag the handle, the oval will turn red when the node location passes the junction of the edge and the parent node."

Ryan: "This is essential since free movement of nodes is now allowed."

That's exactly what I don't like about FreeMind. I'd like to be able to move nodes freely (and not have the oval to turn red), thus sometimes achieving more organic structure of the map (i.e. the way I want it).

Do you think FreeMind could ever have such ability I'm looking for? (I don't see why not if there's already a way to reset positions of all of your nodes - it's just a matter of priorities and I'm thinking if this fits in the FreeMind future direction, or vision of the main developers?)

Dom
      http://domdelimar.com

• Ryan
      Ryan
      2008-04-10

@ Dom Delimar

I only just noticed you asked me a question. I think FreeMind could have the functionality you want. But it depends on what direction the developers want to go. I don't know the current vision or road map. At the moment the development seems to be focusing on knowledge management features, and advanced features like scripting.

Personally, I don't want such features and I'm unsure what approach is best. Some developers provide whatever the user wants, others have a strong vision they want to realize.

Scripting has the ability to produce some cool visual effects that you might like. But don't you already have the function to move nodes wherever you want? I don't understand your objection about the oval turning red?

Regards,
      Ryan