Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Locked nodes are not unlocking

Emordnilap
2007-09-19
2013-04-11
  • Emordnilap
    Emordnilap
    2007-09-19

I created a mindmap and locked a bunch of nodes off so that I could export it to HTML and share it with friends (hiding the important bits).

I've loaded the map up later and none of the nodes will unlock.  <-- this is troublesome!

To test it out, I've done the following:
    1) Make a new map
    2) Create a child called "foo"
    3) Create locked node at the root called "Safe"
    4) Create a child under "Safe" called "bar"
    5) Lock the "Safe" node.
    5) save the map
    6) Close the map
    7) Open the map
    8) Observe that the map is empty. (empty is bad!)

Try again:
    1) Make a new map
    2) Create a child called "foo"
    3) Save the map
    4) Close the map
    5) open the map
    6) Observe all is well
    7) Create locked node at the root called "Safe"
    8) Create a child under "Safe" called "bar"
    9) Lock the "Safe" node.
    10) save the map
    11) Close the map
    12) Open the map
    13) Observe that the map is empty. (empty is very bad!)

Note that whenever I attempt to close a map, it prompts me to save with a genearic default name, despite the fact that I just saved it with a specific name.

Also note that I am working od a different machine that the one on where I created the locks (they seemed OK there).  I'll try that one to see if they will unlock there before I really panic.

All the above cases are still not exaclty what I'm finding with my important map; its not resetting the map -- everything still show up but the nodes will not unlock.  I have not saved this map (at least I hope not) since loading on this machine, so I dont know if that would damage the file or not.

Mostly I'm concerned that the data is lost.  That would make me sad.

• Emordnilap
      Emordnilap
      2007-09-19

just got home - they are not unlocking on the machine I created them on either.

I'm very interested in hearing a means to salvage my data.

• Hello,

what java version and what FreeMind version do you use on that "different machine"?
      It looks like the well known issue that FreeMind 0.8.0 does not work with the newer Java 1.6 properly, particularly the encrypted nodes can not be saved or decrypted there.

Dimitry

• Emordnilap
      Emordnilap
      2007-09-19

C:\Program Files\FreeMind>"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin"\java.exe -jar
      lib/freemind.jar

freemind version 0.8.0

I did just go through a slurry of updating java on my machines at home.  That might explain it.
      My work machine has old and new versions of java due to work related cruft.  I'll see about editing the batch to use an older version.

Thanks for the advice.

• Emordnilap
      Emordnilap
      2007-09-19

Yay!  Thank you very much.