Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

When will latest release get out of beta?

2010-12-07
2013-04-11
  • Mark Donnelly
    Mark Donnelly
    2010-12-07

I have been using FreeMind now for about 5 years. For most of those 5 years, the only "stable" download is the one labelled "The latest stable release of FreeMind is 0.8.1."

When is the latest stable release going to be of the 1.x variety? It's embarassing to see this! FreeMind is a great software tool!

• There is no deadline, but the final release of 0.9.0 is likely to be released soon, from what I can tell. We are trying to meet quality goals at the expense of time goals. There are very few human resources on FreeMind project. Very few people have been willing to send patches for reported bugs, and thereby help the release out of the door. The functional scope of 0.9.0 as compared to 0.8.1 is considerable, including attributes, filters, WYSIWYG editing of rich text, file format changes for the WYSIWYG rich text editing, scripting, and more. It would be easy to label one of the 0.9.0 RC prereleases as final release, but only at the cost of leaving known regression bugs in the release, some of them critical. So much about the final release of 0.9.0. As regards versioning and a release numbered "1.x.x", I do not remember any plan about that. However, a stable release does not need to have a "1.x.x" version number; "0.8.1" is also a stable release. The terms "stable" and "unstable" are imperfect (I am to blame I am afraid). Our "unstable" releases do not crash and are rather usable; but they contain known regression bugs. -Dan