format styles like in std tools

2007-10-13
2013-04-11
  • Hi,

I love Freemind for different things, but all the options that it now has to change the format of nodes, edges, etc. could be grouped in one format dialog (and reduce the size of menus options)... I know, it's done, but could be improved (with tabs) and the corresponding commands removed from the "presentation" menu.

Also, I think many of us would appreciate:
    - copy style (icon)
    - possibility of creation of styles,
      * which could be given the shortcuts F3-F6 e.g.
      * which would be accessible from the icon bar

Thanks a lot for the good work ...

Patco

By the way, I noticed that the "enter" shortcut to create a new sibling doesn't work all the time, in beta 9... I have to check up whether this is still true in beta 13!...

• Jörg Wagner
      Jörg Wagner
      2007-10-13

> By the way, I noticed that the "enter" shortcut to create a new sibling doesn't work all the time, in beta 9... I have to check up whether this is still true in beta 13!...

It is still true. Happens to me very often.
      --
      Cheers
      Jörg

• Ray Benjamin
      Ray Benjamin
      2007-10-14

Patrick,

I've suggested the same thing about the formatting dialog and I've been working on a mock-up of my proposed dialog box for release 0.9.1 or later. There's a freeze on additional features for 0.9.0, since we're trying to get it out the door. If possible, I'd like to add a preview pane to the dialog box, so you can see the format of the parent node, current node, and children, and how your changes affect them. As you've suggested, I've broken up the many formatting options into a tabbed pane, which makes the dialog box a lot smaller.

The formatting dialog box will, provided I can finish it, allow you to create a new style based on the current node, or go on to edit styles.

Once this is done, I think we can remove most of the context menu formatting commands, replacing them with one item that invokes the dialog box.

I'm hoping I can persuade the other developers to spend at least part of the effort on 0.9.1 on cleaning up the interface. There's lots of good stuff in FreeMind, but since it's been created by several different people, the interface can be a bit confusing.

If you wish to help, more testing on the current beta is the best way. The quicker we can find and slay the outstanding issues, the faster we can get 0.9.0 out the door and the faster we can move on to good ideas like this one.

Ray