Nodes are stuck together.

JimD
2010-07-29
2013-04-11
  • JimD
    JimD
    2010-07-29

Some nodes move alone, other node are to some degree stuck together.
    Why is this?
    You say:
    "If you want to rearrange the nodes on your map using your mouse, you should not  move the nodes around using the small "handle" appearing when your pointer hovers over the node, but you should grab the node itself, move it around and see how it throws a shadow upon the place it'll land once you release the mouse button."
    Well, I assume the "handle" is the oval that appears. If I just grab the node, it does not move, so I am not sure what you are attempting to say here. It will only move you  you grab the oval.

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2010-07-30

yes it does, but drop it to any other node, not in "empty space". So node will be moved and/or reattached, and auto-layouting will be kept. Even more, you may select and drag-drop several nodes at once.

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2010-07-30

also, note the existence of
        Format -> Reset position
    option. It resets handle – moved nodes position.

• JimD
    JimD
    2010-07-30

So, if really "If you want to rearrange the nodes on your map using your mouse, you should not  move the nodes around using the small "handle" " is too vague. If you want to move nodes around  you MUST grab it by the oval handle.
    If you want to move a node to another node, then you should grab the node itself an NOT use the oval handle, then drop on the target node.

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2010-07-31

jcdonelson, yes, you're right.

• JimD
    JimD
    2010-07-31

Ok, now that we have cleared that up, I still have the issue of some nodes moving together (when they have no parent child relation ship) an others not.
    On my sample diagram, I have three nodes off the root. One I can grab and spin it around root, and the other two are unaffected.. The other two are stuck together to some degrees. It should work that you can position unrelated nodes completely independently.

• spinifex
    spinifex
    2010-08-09

Yes independent node relocation within the free space is an absolute requirement for me. It just drives me crazy the way that the nodes are locked together. I guess it wouldnt matter if you were only using FreeMind for brainstorming, but if you want to actually start organising your ideas this is absolutely critical. I imagine free movement of nodes must have been there previously?