Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Exporting and Node displacement

Firartix
2010-09-06
2013-04-11
  • Firartix
    Firartix
    2010-09-06

We started some kind of project for our first day at school today, which involved using FreeMind and MindMapping.

While it was quite easy to use after a few minutes, some stuff made me really angry.
    - First, the right mouse button used on the nodes would not work, on ANY comp. we had in the room! And since nodes would be AUTO selected on mouseover, you'd have to mouseover the node then avoid the other ones trying to go for the buttons in top bar. Then guess which one to click.
    - Second, the Export function wouldn't work either. Opening freemind in a terminal popped plenty Java errors… It was quite disappointing since all the teachers wanted us to export the document into a PDF. On a side note, some seems to work well (such as HTML Export)
    - Third, it was very annoying how you couldn't move nodes freely. EG, moving one up in a row would move other up, so they would all be in same order… And you can't move them from left to right or the other way around. It's really disappointing.

Anyway, keep up the good work o.o

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2010-09-07

> you'd have to mouseover the node then avoid the other ones
    there is several selection "methods" in FreeMind settings (at least in 0.9.0), one of which is "by click".

> the Export function wouldn't work either
    for me, exporting to PDF works but it not as good as exporting to "XHTML (clickable map image version)", which I prefer (because collapsed nodes, notes etc exported in XHTML not PDF), and which can be converted further (by printing to PDF printer for example).

Btw, check your JRE version.

> Third, it was very annoying how you couldn't move nodes freely
    you can move them almost freely (drag by oval near stalk of the node). But Freemind won't allow nodes to overlap, so if you want to reorder nodes, first drag it by the half next to stalk (or by any part if you drag leaf node).

But IMHO the power of FreeMind is immediate auto-layouting. I set it to add node when typing, so I get all new nodes ordered right as they should without manual layouting with mouse.

If you prefer manual layouting (or "automatic by command"), maybe it's better to get used to yED. IMO FreeMind is not for graphing but for freeing and organizing your mind :), and for this purpose it is one of best.

> And you can't move them from left to right or the other way around.
    you can. The same way as when reordering.

• LogicDaemon
    LogicDaemon
    2010-09-07

> First, the right mouse button used on the nodes would not work,
    this is strange. For me, it works. JRE6u21.