RTF/HTML Import Struggle KeyNote/Treepad

Help
2004-12-17
2013-04-11
  • Kurt Woodham
    Kurt Woodham
    2004-12-17

Hi  - recently discovered freemind, and think it's a great tool.  I have some existing treepad outlines and keynote outlines that I would like to be able to pull in.  So far, the only method that I've been able to use that recreates a tree format is the cut/paste from excel.  If I have a simple html file with <h1>, <h2>, <p>, tags - it looks like the help text says that freemind will interpret the code and recreate the tree - but I have not been able to get this to work.  I have a similar problem with a simple tree generated in Word outline and save into an RTF file - pasting it into freemind just generates every item linked directly to the root.  How do I handle HTML/RTF inport? 

Thanks

- Kurt

• Hi,
      Perhaps you have found the solution by yourself since your post.
      I will try to help you, anyway:
      If you want to display the file tree structure, you must change your 'Mode'. But if you just want to mix your mind map with some tree file structure, the most that you could do, is importing your IE Bookmarks. You should first see that the Favourites are stored as folders in a tree structure.
      Knowing this, it would be easy to rename your Favourites folder to another name (provisionally). And then, (also provisionally) copying your folder structure inside your Favourites.
      Another way of doing all this, would be by using your MSword to create your structure, then saving it into HTML. And finally, copying all its source text, starting at the word <HTML and ending at the </HTML> tag. When FreeMind reads the tag <HTML> it starts treating all its content as what you see with IE. If it has links, it is going to make them active.