Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

class Freemind.main.FreemindApplet NOT FOUND

Help
2004-10-13
2013-04-11
  • Hi. First, this is a great program! I love it. I'm using it to outline for my law classes. I want to post my mindmaps on a Linux server so my classmates can see the maps. I have followed the instructions for downloading the applet and for uploading onto a server. I loaded the applet, the html launcher (pointing to my map), and the the mm file. I have installed java 1.4 on my computer and am able to see the example map Daniel's publicmap with no problems. However, when I try to view my maps I get Applet not found message underneath the greyed broswer window. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
    Jeremy

• Regina Osborn
      Regina Osborn
      2004-10-13

i see you are in law school what state?
      Regina

• I'm in California. Why, are you in law school also? Do you know what I might be doing wrong with the applet? Thanks!

• Regarding this issue: When I asked my web hosting service providers if it had something to do with their Linux servers they replied with the following:
      "The class file, freemind.main.FreeMindApplet.class, is being called to in the html and that file is not in the directory. Also, the same goes for Freemindbrowser.jar and freemind.modes.browsemode.BrowseMode.
      The files need to be there for the applet to function."

However, is this accurate?

• Eric L.
        Eric L.
        2004-10-14

Hi again (should have read better your first email),

you need only to make sure that freemindbrowser.jar is correctly referenced in the following line:

<applet code="freemind.main.FreeMindApplet.class" archive="../freemind/freemindbrowser.jar" width="100%" height="70%">

i.e. in my case it's one directory below and up in the 'freemind' directory.

Some things to take care if you're not familiar with Linux:
        - letter case is important (e.g. FreeMind is not the same as freemind).
        - if you've uploaded the jar file from a Windows machine, or if a Windows machine was in the chain of transmission, you might have forgotten to set the FTP transmission mode to 'binary' (type 'bin' in your ftp tool before uploading the file again, or find the corresponding option if it's not command line).

Hope this helps, if not send us the HTML file.

Cheers, Eric

• Eric L.
      Eric L.
      2004-10-14

Hi,

one error I made myself is that the line:
      <param name="browsemode_initial_map"
          value="http://sameserver/bla/mindmap.mm" />
      needs to contain an absolute value (i.e. with http, name of server, etc...) and the map needs to be on the same server as the applet (the call to the applet itself can be relative BTW).
      If it doesn't help, send us the code of your html page calling the applet, at least part of it.

Cheers, Eric

• Eric,

Thanks. I am currently away from my home computer where all the files (and ftp program) so I can't fiddle with my maps write now but in the meantime, here's the code for the html launch page: The letter case issue might be it?? (see below) - Jeremy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
      <html>
      <!-- This launcher works fine with Explorer (with Javascript or without) as
           well as with Mozilla on Windows -->
      <head>
        <title>Civil Procedure</title>
        <!--   ^ Put the name of your mind map here -->
      </head>
      <body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
        <APPLET CODE="freemind.main.FreeMindApplet.class"
                ARCHIVE="freemindbrowser.jar" WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
        <PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4">
        <PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="false">
        <PARAM NAME="modes" VALUE="freemind.modes.browsemode.BrowseMode">
        <PARAM NAME="browsemode_initial_map"
               VALUE="http://jeremypeck.com/mypages/Civpro.mm">
          ^ Put the path to your map here<param NAME="initial_mode" VALUE="Browse">
      </applet>
      </body>
      </html>

• Eric L.
        Eric L.
        2004-10-15

Hi,

if the text " ^ Put the path to your map here" is really in your code, you should remove it, it could already solve the problem.
        Also, check that freemindbrowser.jar is in the same path as your HTML file, with correct naming case. If it doesn't help, re-transfer it with 'bin' option.

Hope this helps,
        Eric

• Hello,

I appreciate the time you've spent on heping me troubleshoot. Last night and this morning I had great success. Having followed all your recommendations, I finally was able to see my maps on the web function correctly. However, after spending some time linking a node to .gif file, and getting that work, I now can't see my maps anymore (I had left my computer for several hours). Now all that happens is "loading applet" appears and it just hangs there without the applet ever starting. Now I'm wondering what's wrong (I'm transfering the files in "binary").

Here's my code, do you see anything I should change? Thanks for all your help! -Jeremy

</head>
      <body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
        <APPLET CODE="freemind.main.FreeMindApplet.class"
                ARCHIVE="../mypages/freemindbrowser.jar"  WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
        <PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4">
        <PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="false">
        <PARAM NAME="modes" VALUE="freemind.modes.browsemode.BrowseMode">
        <PARAM NAME="browsemode_initial_map"
               VALUE="http://www.jeremypeck.com/mypages/civpro.mm">
         <param NAME="initial_mode" VALUE="Browse">
      </applet>
      </body>
      </html>

• Hi,

try to place the jar in the same directory as the html.

HTH, Chris

• Hi.

Thanks. I have the html (launcher), the .mm file, and the jar file all in the same directory "mypages". And indeed it was working last night and this morning but no longer working?? Is it possible it's a Java problem or a problem with the Linux server I use to host my site? It's very perplexing.

Thanks for any suggestions.
      Jeremy

• Well, looking at your homepage,
        they are in the same directory, but the
        script tries changing the directory to the upper one. This may be prohibited.

ARCHIVE="../mypages/freemindbrowser.jar"

Maybe it is also something with rights.

I cannot reach
        http://www.jeremypeck.com/mypages/civpro.mm
        from outside. This must be fully visible, because it is read by the java application from the web client.

The same happens with the Jar.

HTH, Chris

• Chris,

Thanks. I really think, that since it was working fine for about 12 hours (from thurs eve. to thurs night), the html code and directory structure should be fine and the problem is the with server. I talked to tech support with my hosting service and they do think it's something on their end...they're checking into it.

If you do have suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks! Jeremy