Help
rrhallqu
2009-03-09
2013-04-11
  • rrhallqu
    rrhallqu
    2009-03-09

Hi all,

I'm trying to copy and paste cells from Excel into Freemind. When I highlight a group of cells and then paste them into Freemind, they come in as one giant node, rather than as separate nodes for each cell. Any way to change this?

I'm using Excel 2007 with a .XLSX file type, but the same thing happened when I did a save-as to create a .XLS file. Eventually I created a CSV file, opened it in TextPad, and pasted it from there. That worked fine, but I'd love an easier way to do this.

Thanks!

Richard

Running Freemind 0.9.0 RC1
    Windows XP SP2
    Excel 2007
    JRE version is 1.6.0_11

• AnGus King
      AnGus King
      2009-03-10

I believe the behavious changed between 0.8.1 and 0.9.0.

Version 8 did as you'd expect (ditto for a word list, ...). I Iguess this is an unexpected change of behaviour

Angus

• rrhallqu
      rrhallqu
      2009-03-10

Thanks for your reply, Angus. I thought I remembered this working in 0.8.1, but wasn't sure if it was me upgrading to Excel 2007 or Freemind 0.9.0.

Richard

• An easier way to paste the content of spreadsheet cells into FreeMind 0.9.0 as a tree of nodes is to open Notepad or other plain text editor, paste the text there, select it there and copy it again using Control + C, and paste it to FreeMind. It is a bit more cumbersome than with FreeMind 0.8.1, but quicker than creating a new file.

Yet another way: open a plain text long node in FreeMind, paste the text there, select it there, copy it using Control + C, close the long node editor, and paste what you have selected to FreeMind.

In future, a "paste special" function can be offered in FreeMind that does this directly for you, or a user setting can be offered to select between (a) pasting HTML from clipboard as HTML, and (b) pasting HTML from clipboard as plain text, that is, as a tree of FreeMind nodes.

Dan

• Hi-

Dan's workaround is only partially successful.  It creates sibling nodes for each row in the excel data, but does not create child nodes based on the columns.  So the data from each row ends up in a single node.

-JJ

• Hello cryptoquip, my workaround consisting in first pasting the selected cells to Notepad achieves in FreeMind 0.9.0 the behavior of FreeMind 0.8.1: each selected Excel row is pasted as one node. What you could have been looking for is this. When I select Excel rows  "a;b" and "c;d", where ";" stands for cell separation, FreeMind could create four nodes "a", "b", "c", "d", where "b" is a child of "a", and "d" is a child of "c". Neither FreeMind 0.8.1 nor FreeMind 0.9.0 does that, and it is not clear to me that this is the intended pasting behavior. What the pasting does is create child nodes by indentation: if you have Excel rows "a;", ";b", and ";c", three nodes are created, where "b" and "c" are children of "a". -Dan

• Nat Bocking
    Nat Bocking
    2012-09-26

you can make it a little easier by making pivot tables of your excel data and then copying and pasting from them, though it doesn't do the parent-child seperation automatically, you can see where you are more clearly.