Move nodes without moving other nodes

Help
Anonymous
2011-11-20
2013-04-11

• Anonymous
    2011-11-20

Hello,

I started using this software and looks great and easy to use. I have only one problem but maybe it is easy to solve.
    When i decide to drag a node to another place in the map all other nodes beneath the node moves with this node so it allways stays under the location of the node that i am dragging.

How can i reorganize my mindmaps without all other nodes moving?

• Denis
    Denis
    2011-12-01

Good luck on that one.  This s/w was designed by cretins.  I have been looking for hours for some way to move one node independently of all the others without disconnecting it from its parent.  I don't think that no-brainer move exists in FM.

One would think that a) that would be done merely by dragging, and if not b) the instructions would be clear on how to do it.

Cretins wasting people's time.  

• Denis
    Denis
    2011-12-01

Hi, Eric.  Yes, you are absolutely right in one respect - the forum is chock full of this question.  If there is documentation and that documentation makes any sense, one would wonder why all these folks are having such a difficult time resolving this issue.

Your link is to a FAQ that is absolutely no help, at least to my system.  Win7, Chrome, FM 0.9.0

It says not to use the lasso but to "grab" the node and move it.  What does "grab" mean???    You tell me. I have tried everything including Rt clicking, Lft clicking, clicking w/ CTL, clicking w/ Alt, clicking with my nose, clicking with my toes, clicking with my . . . well, you get the picture. Nothing allows me to move a node anywhere except to a new parent node, and that is not the issue here. 

This program has been out a long time and has many fine features and a lot of work, but this simple issue remains to justify a certain amount of disappointment and scorn.

• Garreth Rogers
    Garreth Rogers
    2011-12-01

To all,

Just a friendly note - I have recently discovered and moved over to FreePlane (https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeplane/), a fork of FreeMind. Although I've barely used it so couldn't yet give a strong recommendation, I believe it has a more advanced range of functions and may be in more active development, so may be a better option for users who find FreeMind too limiting (I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere for better information - it's just a lead!).

I could be wrong, but I suspect that FreeMind is being set out to pasture (I think there's a word for abandoned software?), example being I submitted a bug report to FreeMind nearly two months ago which has not been acknowledged, let alone actioned. To me, this implies FreeMind is what it is and in the main the support for it is going to be peer support rather than an active forum for improvements.

Or to put it another way, I think be barking at the moon (I'm actually wondering if there's any point my following the FreeMind forum any more)!

Perhaps (unless there's already a better review) if any readers find FreePlane better they could post back here and comment for benefit of all?

• Denis
    Denis
    2011-12-01

garrog

Thank you for that suggestion and link.  I haven't had time to give it a good run, but so far Freeplane seems to be an improvement over FM with respect to this "free positioning" issue.

After setting up FP it will open existing FM files.  Just be sure the box is checked for allowing FP to associate .mm extension.

Evolution.  Where would we be without it?

• Garreth Rogers
    Garreth Rogers
    2011-12-01

Pleasure, patentguy - hope it works out for you!