FreeMind 1.0.0 will not take Keyboard Focus without clicking in window

Help
dhlocker
2014-05-15
2014-05-23
  • dhlocker
    dhlocker
    2014-05-15

FreeMind really wants to be the top window, and will not take focus until it is on top of everything else. This is not a good thing.

I have a Microsoft Windows 7 machine with FreeMind 1.0.0. Windows UI is set for "focus follows mouse" so I don't have to click in every window in order for it to take focus (I often want to type in one window with a different window on top of it.) FreeMind seems to recognise that the mouse has entered its window (the FreeMind icon in the "task bar" is highlighted) but characters continue to go to whichever window previously had focus until I click on the FreeMind window and bring it to the top.

This is particularly troublesome as I create/edit Mind Maps while referring to other documents on my desktop - each time I click in FreeMind to make it take focus, the other [reference] document gets covered. Is there a workaround?

[BTW, I love this tool and have been using it for seven or so years.]

Last edit: dhlocker 2014-05-15
  • dhlocker
    dhlocker
    2014-05-23

I'm thinking now that this may be a side effect of the toolkit used to build the user interface as I noticed similar behaviour in the GanttProject UI.