Printing - Paper Size Options

Help
2004-11-09
2013-04-11
  • I'm running freemind 0.7.1 on Mandrake 10.0 (and loving it!).  Hoping for some help with the following:

I'm trying to print a large mindmap on a plotter (A0 size), however no matter which printer I select the available paper sizes remain the same.  I've tried changing default printers under CUPS without success. 

Under Windows, freemind seems to display the available paper sizes for the printer - but not under linux????  Is this a freemind issue or a java thing (I'm using jre1.5.0 but noticed the same behaviour under jre 1.4.2).

Any ideas on how to configure java/freemind so that the full range of paper sizes for a selected printer are shown?

• Eric L.
      Eric L.
      2004-11-09

Hi,

no definitive answer here, but you might be able to find out if it's a Linux or Java problem by pointing your browser to http://localhost:631 -> Printers -> Configure Printer and there have a look at the offered 'Media Size's.

If, also there, you can't choose the proper size, then you might not have the correct driver for your printer (use 'Modify Printer' to choose the right one). E.g. choosing an HP DesignJet driver, I was able afterwards to choose A0 sizes.

If you don't have the problem in CUPS, then it looks like a Java problem, and I don't have a solution...

Eric

PS: Mmh, playing around, it doesn't seem Java reacts to paper size changes and always offers the same list...

• Thanks Eric - your PS comment was the behaviour I was talking about.  I've played around with the printing functionality of some other Java applications in Linux (CmapTools in particular - pretty cool concept mapping tool!) and they all display the same behaviour.

From what I can gather, it appears to be an issue with the Java Printing service - lots of comments in other forums indicating the java printing service in linux is no where near as good as the windows version.  In particular, it sounds like the Java Printing Service in Linux doesn't query the printer to identify media options etc. 

Looks like one of those issues that I may just have to put up with :-(

cheers,
      Rob.

• Eric L.
      Eric L.
      2004-11-11

Hi,

just an idea: perhaps if you print to a postscript file and scale the result with some intelligent ghostscript or similar utilitary, you might get what you need.
      On the short term, I couldn't find anything but had a look at the freemind postscript and it doesn't like a bitmap (i.e. it should be scalable).
      I thought also about going through PDF and acroread which has some scaling options (I never used).

As said, just ideas, but I'd be interested in the result.

Cheers, Eric

• Hi,

or just use the latest testversion (see FAQ) and its PDF export.

Chris

• Thanks for the suggestion Chris!  Problem solved ..... sort of.

I managed to get the map exported to a jpeg file easily enough, but couldn't get the svg or help plugin to work.  I think I've installed them in the right place (ie: I now have lib, plugins, and doc folders), however the plugin menu entries defined in the xml files don't show up at all.  Is their any trick to getting the plugins to work.

I'm using j2re version 1.5.0 if that makes any difference.

cheers,
          Rob.

PS: Sorry about the anonymous posting.  I've registered an account, but my ISPs mail server is down (again) so I haven't been able to complete the process!

• Hi Rob,

that is important. Please, try to start the freemind.bat and have a look, whether or not the plugin appears.

Chris

PS: 1.5 should work....

• RobP72
              RobP72
              2004-11-17

Hi Chris,

I'm running linux so the freemind.bat file isn't much use to me.

Like for so many other things, it turns out my laziness is to blame.  I created a symbolic link to freemind.sh  on my KDE desktop and was using this to run Freemind 0.8.  For some reason plugins were not detected when I launched freemind from my desktop using the symbolic link (ie: by clicking on the symbolic link icon rather than running the script in a terminal window). The same problem would occur for KDE application links to freemind.sh even when forcing them to run in a terminal.

However, plugins are detected if I manually run the freemind.sh script from a terminal window. Problem sorted!

As, I'm kind of new to linux, I don't really understand why running the script from the desktop would produce a different result to running it in a terminal window.  Perhaps someone more knowledgable could explain why this happens???

cheers,
              Rob.

• Eric L.
                Eric L.
                2004-11-17

Hi,

it's probably due to some environment variable defined in /etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc, ~/.bash*, ~/.profile; some of these files are read only in a a shell but not in a KDE session.
                In other words, if you start "/usr/bin/env > /tmp/console.env" from a console and "/usr/bin/env > /tmp/kde.env" from Alt+F2, you will get different results.

Other possibility, it depends from which directory you are starting FreeMind (I'd imagine, in the console from the FreeMind directory, in KDE from your home directory).

I don't know if it's the answer in this special case, because I didn't yet have time to play with 0.8.0 (migrated to Debian Sarge recently, and I'm in the process of getting FreeMind 0.7.1 in the Debian distro).

Cheers, Eric

• RobP72
                RobP72
                2004-11-17

A bit of follow-up:

when I run the freemind.sh script in Konsole (by manually typing ./freemind.sh) the ouput in the terminal window is almost exactly the same as when running it from an icon on the desktop.  The only difference is the final line of ouput.

running manually produces the following final line of output "INFO: Registered   MouseWheelEventHandler accessories.plugins.UnfoldAll$Registration@1060478".  Whereas running from a desktop icon comes up with "INFO: Registered   MouseWheelEventHandler accessories.plugins.UnfoldAll$Registration@17431b9".

Obviously, the different "Registration" value makes a difference - but being a bit of a newbie, I have no idea why.

cheers,
                Rob.

• Eric L.
                  Eric L.
                  2004-11-21

Hi,

I wouldn't expect that it's the difference, perhaps you can send us the content of your "icone", it should be a file under $HOME/Desktop, called something like 'freemind.desktop'; you can open it with an editor and cut & paste the content.

When you start FreeMind from the konsole, I imagine you do something like:
                  # cd directory_where_freemind_is_installed
                  # ./freemind.sh
                  Correct?

Chris: does FreeMind find its plugins relative to the directory it's running from? If yes, hopefully this behavior can be changed, else I will have a hell of a job to package this version...

Cheers, Eric

• RobP72
                    RobP72
                    2004-11-21

Hi Eric,

the content of the desktop icon is as follows:

[Desktop Entry]
                        Comment=
                        Comment[en_GB]=
                        Encoding=UTF-8
                        Exec='/opt/freemind_0.8/freemind.sh'
                        GenericName=
                        GenericName[en_GB]=
                        Icon=exec
                        MimeType=
                        Name=Freemind
                        Name[en_GB]=Freemind
                        Path='/opt/freemind_0.8'
                        StartupNotify=true
                        Terminal=false
                        TerminalOptions=
                        Type=Application
                        X-DCOP-ServiceType=
                        X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
                        X-KDE-Username=

Though I don't think this is the problem as plugins aren't detected even when I use a symbolic link from the desktop to freemind.sh.

I think your comment regarding the plugin interface detecting plugins relative to the directory freemind is excuted from is on the mark. To test this, I created a small script on my desktop as follows:

cd /opt/freemind_0.8
                        ./freemind.sh

when I run this script from the desktop all plugins are correctly detected!

cheers,
                    Rob.