Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Where does Freemind store its settings?

Help
arbe
2005-01-20
2013-04-11
  • arbe
    arbe
    2005-01-20

When I start Freemind, it automatically opens the map which was last active the last time I ran the application. Where do you store this information (i.e. the path of the most recently used map)? Am I able to clear this history manually?

Thanks for your help in advance!

• Antonimo
      Antonimo
      2005-01-20

Are you using Windows?

If so, have a look in the FreeMind folder under "Documents and Settings\<username>\freemind" (or something like this).

In this folder you will find a file named, "auto.properties" - Open this up in Notepad.

Near to the top of this file you can see the recently opened file list.

At the end of this file there is a reference to the default file to open if none is specified (onStartIfNotSpecified=MindMap)

I personally have my own "template" map set on the "onStartIfNotSpecified" line and I have then made the file "auto.properties" read only so that my template is always opened if I don't launch FreeMind by double-clicking on an existing mm file.

Hope this helps!

• Antonimo
      Antonimo
      2005-01-20

Follow Up:

There is also a file called user.properties containing many other customizable settings. Have a look through these too.

I always make a copy of these files before I "tweak" them - Just in case :-)

Also, have a look at this page for loads of information, including the answer to your earlier question:

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Asked_Questions