Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Network multiple trees?

Help
2012-03-09
2013-04-11
  • Peter Scott
    Peter Scott
    2012-03-09

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it in the FAQ or forum searches.

I want to create graphs that look like multiple mindmaps linked together.  I imagine doing this with an option next to "add child node" that said "add root node" and drew a line to an ellipse off which could branch new children.  It may violate some standard of what constitutes true mindmaps but it's what I want to do for certain applications.

I'm fairly sure Freemind can't do this but want to make sure.  Does anyone know of a tool that can?  (Aside from a pure drawing program like Visio, of course.)  Is this a feature that any FM developers might comment on the likelihood of being added?  Thanks.

• Cliff Neil
    Cliff Neil
    2012-03-12

peterjscott,

You're right. Having multiple root nodes is not in the focus of FM and I can't tell you which other tool to use instead. Am I guessing right that you already thought about putting everything in ONE map? All you'd have to do is to identify a new, more toplevel, root node, that is, naming it "my projects" in case you'd like to admin multiple projects.

However, "linking root nodes" doesn't necessarily sound like a hierarchy (parent -> nodes). Your approach COULD also end up in nodes that have more than one parent (Business Unit 1, BU2 <- Project Node) and this is definitely not the scope of a mindmapping tool. (Nevertheless you CAN set a link in FM to any other node.)

Cheers
    Cliff

• Peter Scott
    Peter Scott
    2012-03-19

Well it is topologically equivalent to the same mindmap trees that FM currently does, just a different rendering.  So I could frame my request in the form: I would like to designate any child node to be rendered as an oval with its subchildren branching off it in all directions.  Those child nodes don't have to be hierarchically level with the root node, not for what I'm doing anyway. It might look like it on the screen, but they wouldn't be all roots, really.

• Peter Scott
    Peter Scott
    2012-03-23

With that proviso, is there any chance of being able to do that in FM or any other tool?

• Cliff Neil
    Cliff Neil
    2012-04-08

peterjscott,

rendering options are limited in FM. You can customize some options (see prefs) but, afaik, there's no way getting your kind of layout. You might think about an alternative like graphviz, which has plenty layouts. However, you'd have to convert your data into graphviz' dot-language. But this raises another problem: writing a data-converter mm->dot. Solving this problem could be easier than trying to solve the previous one but I'm not aware of your resources/skills.

Cheers

• Peter Scott
    Peter Scott
    2012-04-09

Thanks.  Yes, I could write that, and probably will.  But it won't have the editability.  It'll just be one-way output only.  Oh well.  Thanks for the idea though, it's still useful.

• Peter Scott
    Peter Scott
    2012-04-15

That looks like it works.  Thanks!