Problems installing and running on Mac OS

Help
spfudge
2007-01-18
2013-04-11
  • spfudge
    spfudge
    2007-01-18

I am a recent switcher from Windows to Mac and have got used to the Mac OS X application installation process.  However, after downloading Freemind-0_8_0.dmg I can't seem to get the application moved properly to the Applications folder.  I can run no problem from the diskimage, but want to be able to run from the Dock etc as a normal Mac aplication.  There is no package to install and it doesn't install automatically as some Mac apps do.

I'd welcome any help.  Thanks.

• bko
      bko
      2007-01-19

I didn't have any problems.

I simply dragged the folder to the applications directory and that's it (if i recall correctly, it's been awhile).

The name of the directory in my apps folder is "Mac_OS_X_Freemind-0_8_0"

It works ok on both Intel (MacBook Pro) on 10.4.8 and PPC (G5 dual core) on 10.4.7.

ls describe the steps you are taking.

Ben

• spfudge
      spfudge
      2007-01-20

Thanks for response, Ben.

I feel a bit silly 'cos it ended up being as simple as you describe, but will still describe what I did for other Mac switchers who may be confused. I was dragging the dmg file itself to the Applications folder, instead of opening it and dragging the folder containing the Freemind application plus ancillary folders into the Applications folder.  I ended up doing the latter and it works fine.

Most OS X applications I've installed either have a complete install package you can open and run, or simply entail dragging the application icon into the Applications folder.  Freemind works slightly differently, it would seem.

Anyway, thanks for response.

Shaun

• I have the same problem, except that I can't run from the disk image either. I have got the dmg file, and there is a folder callec Mac_OS_X_Freemind-0_8_1 in it. What should I do with it?

If I try to run the program inside this folder, I get a length error log, starting with:
    Process:         translate
    Path:            /Volumes/Mac_OS_X_Freemind-0_8_1 Archive/Mac_OS_X_Freemind-0_8_1/FreeMind.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
    Identifier:      freemind.main.FreeMind
    Version:         ??? (???)
    Code Type:       PPC (Translated)
    Parent Process:  launchd

Date/Time:       2010-04-06 22:57:34.591 +0200
    OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6 (10A380)
    Report Version:  6

I have an MacBook Pro 5,1 (intel-based, late 2008/early 2009)