Files made in Ubuntu can't open in Windows

Help
2011-01-19
2013-04-11
  • Nick Beckstead
    Nick Beckstead
    2011-01-19

Here's my problem.  I run a windows/ubuntu dual boot.  When I make mindmaps in Ubuntu, I can't open them in Windows.  This is inconvenient for various reasons.  Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Thank you,
    Nick

• Nick Beckstead
    Nick Beckstead
    2011-01-19

I should be more clear.  The files open, but they don't have the right content.  They just appear like a new, totally empty, mindmap.

• If you would create a bug report and attach an example mind map that cannot be opened in Windows to help me reproduce and investigate the problem, I can have a look at it. Otherwise, I do not know what is going wrong. FreeMind is cross platform; its mind map format is not specific to an operating system. Some diagnostic questions: do you have this problem with all mind maps or only with some mind maps? If only with some mind maps, is there something peculiar to those problem-creating mind maps? -Dan

• Please also state which version of FreeMind you are using. -Dan

• Nick Beckstead
    Nick Beckstead
    2011-01-20

Sorry-new to the forum, relatively inexperienced linux user.  Bug report created here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3162687&group_id=7118&atid=107118.

I have this problem with all mindmaps created in ubuntu.  There is nothing particularly peculiar about any of the mindmaps that I tested this with.  I can create mindmaps in windows, modify them in ubuntu, and then open them properly in windows.

• Eric L.
    Eric L.
    2011-01-22

Hi,

I answered and closed the bug report along the lines:

That's not a bug, that's a feature, and it has nothing to do with Windows
    vs. Ubuntu: 0.8 maps will open fine in FreeMind 0.9.x but not the other way
    around. Install FreeMind 0.9.0 on Windows and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps, Eric

• Nick Beckstead
    Nick Beckstead
    2011-01-22

I see now that this was rather obvious.  In any case, thanks for the help.