"Freely Move" handles gone?

Help
Anonymous
2012-09-24
2013-04-11

• Anonymous
    2012-09-24

I've been using Freemind for years.  I've often used those little "handles" - the oval that appears when you hover over the stem of the node (the point where the connector connects with the node). 

They let you move the node around without changing its position in the map - i.e., to further separate a branch from another, or just to add a little more spacing between branches for readability's sake.

Sometime recently that functionality disappeared on me - I didn't notice it was gone until I tried to use it - but that oval no longer appears then I hover my mouse over the node.  If I try to do it blind, and drag where the oval used to appear, it doesn't work - I either wind up moving the canvas, or dragging the node (i.e. toward a new parent).

I've looked everywhere I can think of, can't find what happened.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Can you think of a configuration setting that might explain this?

I've also wondered whether this functionality has been [intentionally or not) dropped. I'm using 1.0.0 beta 7.

Any help would be great.  Thanks and cheers.

• Hi,

please, reenable the option in preferences.

HTH, Chris

• Peter Brittain
    Peter Brittain
    2013-01-28

Menu: Tools > Preferences > Button: Behaviour > Check box: Enable node movement    worked for me (FM-restart necessary)

Like John, I had been (v happily) using FreeMind for years and suddenly missed the functionality with an upgrade to 1.0.0 Beta 8.

Can't understand why the functionality should suddenly become non-default.   I did see a note in help (see below) which implied that the oval handle was deprecated, but then advocated a procedure for making topological changes (new parent).  Of course the red oval handle was always used for making changes that left the map topologically equivalent (just different spacing, etc.)

To move a node to the other side of root or re-arrange nodes
    If you want to rearrange the nodes on your map using your mouse, you should not move the nodes around using the small "handle" appearing when your pointer hovers over the node, but you should grab the node itself, move it around and see how it throws a shadow upon the place it'll land once you release the mouse button. …

• Hi,

I re-enabled the functionality by default on 1.0.0 RC1.

Br, Chris