Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Don't show note contents when hovering

Help
2011-03-23
2013-06-04
  • Archaeomanda
    Archaeomanda
    2011-03-23

I'm probably not explaining this with quite the right terms, but I'll try to explain:

Is it possible to turn off the feature that has the note content shown in a yellow box when you hover over a node?  I'm using Freemind with a groovy script that imports a LaTeX document as a mind map with the text for each section as a note, so every node has a long note text associated with it.  However, it is annoying to have these notes pop up all the time and obscure what I am trying to do.  Is there a way to stop the note text from being shown when you hover over the node?  I'd prefer it to stay hidden except in the actual note window at the bottom of the screen.

I'm using 0.9.0 RC 15 (on Fedora 13) at the moment but I think this happens in every version.

• Haystack
    Haystack
    2011-10-26

I LOVE this program, but listen to archaeomanda. The notes display on hover behavior is IMPOSSIBLE to cope with.  When my first map became crowded with notes tucked in everywhere, it was as if every mouse gesture was navigating a field full of claymores.  Eventually the constant distraction of trying to keep from triggering the hover bombs was 2-much. I am going back to my old writer's software temporarily until this can be turned off in the preferences (or somewhere). PLEASE fix this Bad.  Freemind is an especially powerful word concept weapon when combined with this NEW notes feature.  I know your software is a work in progress… Still I LOVE This Program and the way it helps me to visualize writing.

• Henry Lee
    Henry Lee
    2012-03-22

I strongly agree. I am also hoping for such an option. The only way to work around it is to use the arrow keys to maneuver around the diagram…but that is not as quick and snappy as a mouse pointer.

• paraklet
    paraklet
    2012-03-31

I like freemind, but this feature is really annoying, if you fill almost all of your nodes with a lot of intern-content like text/pictures etc… Hope, it will be possible to deactivate that stupid thing in future versions of this really usefull program.

• Robin
    Robin
    2012-08-09

OMG THIS IS SO ANNOYING. I absolutely love this program otherwise.

• Hi,

hmm, there is a very prominent option in the option panel (aka. preferences). Part "Appearance". "Don't show the note tooltips". The only problem with this option is, that it has "icons" as a title. This is now corrected in git.

But there is no problem to disable the tooltips.

HTH, Chris

• Kelvin Goodson
    Kelvin Goodson
    2012-09-21

@Chris - I think you miss the point - the icons are useful to indicate that notes are associated with a node, it's the pop-ups that are the issue. For example I just wanted to embolden a node that has a large note associated with it, however, I could not do that because as soon as I pointed at the node the whole screen was covered by a pop up window with the contents of the notes.

Like others, I love Freemind (0.9) but this feature is a real pain.

• Hi again,

you can enable icons and disable tooltips in the preferences. This should do.

Br, Chris

• Just to clarify:

FreeMind 0.8.0 does not show node notes in tooltips.

FreeMind 0.9.0 does not have any way of disabling showing node notes in tooltips, as far as I can see.

FreeMind 1.0.0 beta 7 has this in the preferences dialog: Appearance > Notes > Don't show the note tooltips.

-Dan

• VYS
    VYS
    2013-06-04

Yes, Freemind 0.9.0 has only one option relating to the problem. Options -> Appearance -> Uncheck "Don't show the note icons" at the bottom, then it will give you a notice to restart for changes. After software restart, it will not show note icons BUT unfortunately it will still show the tooltips!

VS

Last edit: VYS 2013-06-04