Version 0.7.2 beta release

2004-04-08
2013-04-11
  • Hi FreeMinders,

after a lot of hard work, the first beta version of freemind 0.7.2 is out.
    You'll find the version as usual under the testversions at

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/testversions/

Don't try to start FreeMind with the exe. This is broken as the classpath has changed.

The following has changed:
    * Toolbar size reduced by Stefan Zechmeister
    * FitToPage corrected by Dimitri
    * Lazy initialization of Jython to increase startup speed.
    * Icon size reduced
    * Unfold all added
    * Bug fix: XMLWriter addes additional \n for contents.
    * setNode is now called automatically.
    * Jython is substituted by an attrappe
    * Fold and Unfold one stage is available now.

Comments are very welcome,

have some nice free days,

Christian

• John Bergsma
      John Bergsma
      2004-04-09

Hi Christian,

I haven't been keeping up with the changes for a few versions.  Some nice things added it looks like.  Thanks.

Noticed that when I attach a note editor to a node, if I attempt to put a space in the text, it pops me back out to the map and the normal node text.  Is it just me?

Thanks for all your work Christian.  You'll get it yet!

• koh
        koh
        2004-04-09

Congratulations to release first beta.

I tried it soon.
        #on Mac OS X(Japanese) environment

First impressions,

I can feel to become faster.
        and new feature is very nice.

It looks good that OS X URL link problem fix and add to luck of Japanese Translation resource.
        I'm very glad to contribute you a bit.

• John Bergsma
      John Bergsma
      2004-04-09

Hi again.

Still playing with Freemind!

Noticed a couple of other things that I found could use tweaking.

1) when the note editor is attached, it is automatically presented, and can't be closed.  There is no indicator on the node that a note is attached. (which of course is not necessary if the editor always pops up, but I don't like the rapid changing of my map space)

2) Can't seem to figure out how to get rid of a note altogether.  So now that editor keeps coming up if I am on a node that no longer has a note.  I could delete the node, except that it has many children!

(unless I am missing something)

Best Regards,

• Hi,

currently, there is no way to get rid of plugins like the note editor. This is to be done.
        Thanks for your comments.

Chris

• Marc Seibert
        Marc Seibert
        2004-07-07

This looks great !

I've benn using the beta since 4 weeks - inspite of the bugs.
        But the Note-Feature is something which is very usefull for me
        and the other new features are very interessting.
        How is the status? Any idea when you got the 0.7.2 stable ?
        Here are some things, that dont work for me:
        - the problem with the notes discussed above ( notebox does not disappear when deleting the note )
        - Could not paste spaces in the notes. the space-key toogles to the map-window.
        -Would be nice to have a Hotkey to switch between the Note and the Map -Window.
        -Also thereis a Problem with the icon-selector.
        It would be nice to have a delete icon/all icons in the popup like in the menu. If you toogle the icon-selector there is no way to leave without making an icon ( if you click before you think :-)  ) .
        But inspite of all - these are great features and the long search  for a good Linux Mind Manager has found its end now !

greetings Marc

• Thanks for the new beta!

I always wait impatiently for the next FreeMind-version!

• Remco Boerma
      Remco Boerma
      2004-12-09

Hi all,

Haven't posted a msg for a while, as i was busy with other stuff.

First of all, the new beta4 looks great. It's still beta, so it has some errors, but that's okay :) Thanks for the product so far!!!

Feature request:
      Is it possible to allow for jython scripting again? As a non-java coder, i can read a bit of java code, but it's way to hard to write plugins for it now.
      It would be nice to have either jython, or some javascript scripting possibilities in the system (does the svg plugin have something like that? Could anyone post something about it? A howto maybe??? )

I'm using freemind for quite some time, and love it. But i have some ideas i'd like to implement. But i don't know if it's possible, yet.. I'll keep it as a suprise what it exactly is :) I first want to see if i can get a proof of concept working... If this succeeds, i know many will be downloading freemind. But before i can start coding, i need the scripting possibility. . 

Furthermore, i think allowing scripts to be run from another environment is a good thing to allow more people to participate in the development. It will also allow more people to extend the functionality of this beautiful product...

Tia

Cheers
      Remco Boerma

• Hi Remco,

honestly, Jython was integrated and was thrown out two months later, because it was *so* slow. As the scripting needs to be interpreted due to the nature of the plugins, and the interpreter needs ca. 10sec. to start and executes the code in a velocity below C64 ....

Well, moreover, it was so much easier to write the plugins under Eclipse having all the support of direct code analysis etc.

Let me recommend to you to take the little time to learn some basic Java. It is worth.

Yours, Chris

• Remco Boerma
          Remco Boerma
          2004-12-10

Is the javascripting still an option then? :)

If not, i will have to ask some folks from around here to help me by writing the code. :) It's not just Freemind that's involved, so it best to have people from all the concerned projects involved. I'll just have to come up with an API and get some volunteers then.

I will get back on this one ;)

Thanx!
          Remco