FreeMind Version 1.0.0 Beta9

2012-11-23
2013-04-11
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Dear FreeMind users,

the new version is mainly a bug fix version. It fixes several copy&paste and clone bugs. To be able to do so, we had to change the file format.
    Moreover, clone stacking is now allowed: you can have clones inside of clones.

The new version is available here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freemind/files/freemind-unstable/1.0.0_Beta9/

The new file format is described by its scheme here:
    http://freemind.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=freemind/freemind;a=blob;f=freemind/freemind.xsd;h=05d66ac0d296e54461c72d34108834e6ebe7d084;hb=HEAD

The complete list of changes:

===============================
    Changes made in FreeMind 1.0.0 Beta9
    ===============================
    * Fixed undo problem in collaboration mode
    * Fixed shutdown of clients and master.
    * Fixed export to directories with spaces under MacOSX (and probably other OS)
    * Fixed undo and creation of nodes
    * Fixed cut/copy and paste of parts of graphical links
    * Fixed cut/copy of clones
    * Clones of clones are now possible, too.
    * Fixed adding places to clone nodes (more general: to add permanent plugins to clone nodes).

Hope you like it,

Chris

PS: This should be the last beta. W're heading towards the first release candidate now.

• Gill
    Gill
    2012-12-01

BUG:

i have about 60 subnodes in a cloned node
    when i try to CTRL+UP/DOWN one of the sub node, whole app semi-freezes - its frozen almost to a halt, but menus de open (but dont fade out), and i can even save the map, then kill the freemind process and open it back.

btw it would be great if cloned nodes didnt necessarily share the same name/content

scenario

music > soundtracks > Avatar
    movies > Avatar > music

its obvious that i want nodes:

music > soundtracks > Avatar
    movies > Avatar > music

have the same content, so i need them to be clones, but have different name

this is a MUST, because one cannot clone the content of those nodes, since every subnode would have to be cloned and that would destroy the mirroring

the only solution now is to waste one additional node like this:

music > soundtracks > Avatar > Avatar_music
    movies > Avatar > music > Avatar_music

is it possible to do something about this?

anyway, cloning is something i needed in freemind for a long time - good work on this, im extremely happy to have this ability, thx

• Hi hojokl,
    bug can't be reproduced by me ad hoc. Can you send an example map to me, please?
    According to the clone node's content. It was rather complicated to make the clone nodes itself identically at any time and it would be easier to have the synchronization feature only for its children. Do we have more user who wants clones to be realized like this? Should it be like this at every time, or do we need "same content clones" and "different content nodes" at the same time (two functionalities or switchable by a user property)??
    Hope for some respones, Chris

• Gill
    Gill
    2012-12-02

i played around trying to reproduce the bug

1 create this node structure:

main_node
    > A
    >>Aa
    >>Ab
    >>Ac
    > B (A's level)
    >>C_A ( = clone of A )

2 close node B (hide its content)

3 use CTRL+UP/DOWN to move any of A's subnodes (Aa,Ab,Ac,…) up/down

now the bug should occur (unless its related to certain settings)

the other thing
    - yes i think synchronizing node contents rather than nodes completely is how it should be, this also allows you to set the names of both clones the same

- i think the best solution would be that cloned nodes (after CTRL+ALT+V) are created with the same name, but each being editable on its own
    - there are cases when one needs the same name for the cloned nodes, but also the opposite - current model - but i strongly believe that clones with same name should be completely removed and instead linking between nodes should be used , i think emanates from different relations between data

case1 (synchronized with cloned node name, i suggest sticking to link between nodes)

>alphabetical list
    >> Dream Theater
    >bands
    >>Dream Theater

case2 (synchronized content-only of cloned nodes)

>music
    >>Death Note
    >>>synchronized+content: Music_from_DeathNote
    >Death Note
    >>music
    >>>synchronized+content: Music_from_DeathNote

case1 is good, when you need to have something at 2 places at once, in that case, i think link alone works, you dont need cloning for this, because practically you have some node where it belongs, and now you need its COPY somewhere else, sure having the editing capability right there without clicking on the link is nice, but the logic doesnt require it

case2 is different - its like database - there is no 'right place' for the node, because all are equally important

• Gill
    Gill
    2012-12-02

I appreciate you giving your time to the bug i experience, i opened the map you posted in the bug thread and noticed you misunderstood the structure i posted, perhaps i wasnt clear enough…

> means depth of the node
    A
    >B
    >>C
    >D
    was supposed to mean B inside A, C inside B, D inside A, sort of like xml

here is the structure i experience the bug with, i have this problem in all maps, yours as well

> A _clone
    > B >>A _clone

in words, i have clone A in B, that is next to A
    then, IF i hide content of B (in this case A's clone) and try to move A's content up/down, i got the problem, if the content of B is shown, the problem wont arise (its like i cant edit clone unless the other clone is also visible (and by edit i mean exclusively moving up/down))

BUG2 (weird behavior)

- i also experienced breaking of the synchronization between nodes, i happened to be able to move content of one clone up and down without affecting the other clone and later noticed editing the content doesnt do anything either, the clone icon was present on both nodes, but the blue icon showing which subnode of the clone i am editing was missing
    - solved it by deleting one clone and creating another one

- i dont see how i could screw up the clones to break them, because the icon was there, but i also dont understand why would it break by itself, this happened to me just once, if anything comes up, ill inform you

• Hi,

bug is reproduced.
    The other thing: when the cloning is stopped, you get this behaviour. There are still clone icons (ok, bug), but no longer cloning. I hope, you can reproduce it.

Br, Chris

• Gill
    Gill
    2012-12-03

great

about the other 'bug' - i see, thx, looks like its just a tiny inconvenience that ill probably never see again, icon can be get rid of fast

last thing, where is the best (most visible) place for suggestions / wish list ?

• Tom
    Tom
    2012-12-04

Hi, first at all thanks for that nice tool, Freemind
    I´m not sure if I´m right here, so I want show you one small bug I found, if in older freemind files any table is placed, and after conversion to the latest version, it will not display correctly anymore, I tested  Freemind 1.0.0.beta8 and beta9, andthe result is that the tabel dimension is increasing, I can send you pictures to compare, but might you already know about it?
    greetings Tom

• Hi,

according to table bugs, this is not know. Please, provide pictures or more details, which type of tables.

TIA, Chris

• Tom
    Tom
    2012-12-05

Hi, thanks for response. I can now make a more detailed error description. It is not a kind of dimension problem, the issue is, that after converting of some already exsting mm files (from Freemind 0.9) to the latest 1.0.0.beta, now in 80% of all mindmaps there is after each text/word now a blank line added (one befor and one after the word), and this "blows up" the mindmap fields and tables.

Here an example how it looks:

Test…..123
    before: - - - - -    Test…..123123
                                Test……123

Test…..123

after: - - - - - -    Test…..123123

Test……123

so, if you need any screenshot let me know please where to send. my contact if helps, is crxtom(at)yahoo.de
    many thanks, greetings Tom

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

Dear freemind developers,

I use freemind stable and tried to use 1.0.0 beta9: It gets stuck at "loading maps" after I confirmed it to go ahead and convert the map.

On the console there is no output other than:
        /opt/bin % ./freemind
        Checking Java Version…

Do you need the map it tried to convert ? Do you need debug output ?

Tormen

• Hi Tormen,

this would be very helpful.
    TIA, Chris

• Hi Tormen,

opens without problems. Try to move the ~/.freemind folder away and try again please.

TIA, Chris

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

Hi again,

Yes, that works :) et :(

:( because like this I loose my settings (especially keyboard shortcuts + physical styles!!)
    … and the history and … I don't know what else ;)

Isn't there a way to make that work ?

I uploaded my .freemind dir (it will unpack as .freemind.OLD): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3pv9GnmTWp5Tm9DTXphdkwtUGc

I got some noise on the command line but from what I saw it seems to be normal:

/opt/bin % ./freemind                                                                                                                                                     #8007 me@seven pts/1
    Checking Java Version…
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/me/.freemind/auto.properties (No such file or directory)
            at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
            at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:137)
            at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.readUsersPreferences(FreeMindStarter.java:225)
            at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.main(FreeMindStarter.java:86)
    Panic! Error while loading default properties.

STDERR: JOrtho configuration file not found!
    STDERR: java.io.FileNotFoundException: dictionaries.cnf (No such file or directory)
    STDERR:         at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    STDERR:         at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:137)
    STDERR:         at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:96)
    STDERR:         at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:87)
    STDERR:         at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:178)
    STDERR:         at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1031)
    STDERR:         at com.inet.jortho.SpellChecker.registerDictionaries(Unknown Source)
    STDERR:         at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.setupSpellChecking(FreeMindStarter.java:212)
    STDERR:         at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.main(FreeMindStarter.java:141)
    STDERR: java.io.FileNotFoundException: dictionaries.properties (No such file or directory)
    STDERR:         at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:87)
    STDERR:         at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:178)
    STDERR:         at com.inet.jortho.SpellChecker.registerDictionaries(Unknown Source)
    STDERR:         at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.setupSpellChecking(FreeMindStarter.java:212)
    STDERR:         at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.main(FreeMindStarter.java:141)
    STDERR: java.io.FileNotFoundException: dictionaries.txt (No such file or directory)
    STDERR:         at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.main(FreeMindStarter.java:141)07.12.2012 16:26:59 freemind.main.Tools waitForEventQueue
    WARNUNG: Can't wait for event queue, if I'm inside this queue!

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

Ok. Something does not add up here I think:

I used the .freemind.OLD directory and removed all .mm files
    which left me only with a couple of files:
    auto.mmfilter  auto.properties  freemind.socket  log.0  log.0.1  log.1  log.2  log.3  log.4  patterns.xml

and trying to run freemind 1.0 again gave me again the question: Convert and it doesn't open.
    As I did not SAVE the ANATOMIE.mm when I ran freemind 1.0 earlier, I guess it is still in the old format, right?
    But so that would mean that because of one of the above remaining setting files, it can't convert the ANATOMIE mind map.

I'll keep poking around.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do! And / or if you are intersted in continuing to persue it :)

Thanks!

Tormen.

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

2 more things:

(a) I asked myself: Is there a way to know what mindmaps he is trying to open … just to know if it is really ANATOMIE.MM
    And found this in the auto.properties:
         onStartIfNotSpecified=MindMap\:/home/me/LINKS/uni/cours/ANATOMIE.mm
         lastOpened=MindMap\:/home/me/LINKS/uni/cours/ANATOMIE.mm;….

So I guess the first means use ANATOMIE :)

(b) Now I removed the .freemind folder again and tried to fire up 1.0 and it took a LOOOONG time at this point:

=====================================================================================
    ~ % mv .freemind .freemind.NEW_test-based-on-OLD                                                                                                                          #8036 me@seven pts/1
    ~ % /opt/bin/freemind                                                                                                                                                     #8037 me@seven pts/1
    Checking Java Version…
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/me/.freemind/auto.properties (No such file or directory)
            at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
            at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:137)
            at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.readUsersPreferences(FreeMindStarter.java:225)
            at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.main(FreeMindStarter.java:86)
    Panic! Error while loading default properties.
    =====================================================================================

And this time I got around 100 of these error messages after a while:
    07.12.2012 17:08:34 freemind.main.Resources logException
    SCHWERWIEGEND: An exception occured:
    org.jibx.runtime.JiBXException: No unmarshaller for element "{http://www.mozilla.org/2006/browser/search/}SearchPlugin" (line 5, col 67)
            at org.jibx.runtime.impl.UnmarshallingContext.unmarshalElement(Unknown Source)
            at org.jibx.runtime.impl.UnmarshallingContext.unmarshalDocument(Unknown Source)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.hooks.MindMapHookFactory.actualizePlugins(MindMapHookFactory.java:178)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.hooks.MindMapHookFactory.searchFor(MindMapHookFactory.java:114)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.hooks.MindMapHookFactory.getPossibleNodeHooks(MindMapHookFactory.java:100)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapController.createNodeHookActions(MindMapController.java:808)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapController.init(MindMapController.java:449)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapController.<init>(MindMapController.java:438)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapMode.createModeController(MindMapMode.java:56)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapMode.init(MindMapMode.java:51)
            at freemind.modes.ModesCreator.getMode(ModesCreator.java:93)
            at freemind.controller.Controller.createNewMode(Controller.java:676)
            at freemind.main.FreeMind.init(FreeMind.java:330)
            at freemind.main.FreeMind.main(FreeMind.java:856)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)                   
            at freemind.main.FreeMindStarter.main(FreeMindStarter.java:127)       
    07.12.2012 17:08:34 freemind.main.Resources logException                      
    org.jibx.runtime.JiBXException: No unmarshaller for element "{http://www.mozilla.org/2006/browser/search/}SearchPlugin" (line 5, col 67)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.hooks.MindMapHookFactory.actualizePlugins(MindMapHookFactory.java:178)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.hooks.MindMapHookFactory.searchFor(MindMapHookFactory.java:114)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.hooks.MindMapHookFactory.getPossibleNodeHooks(MindMapHookFactory.java:100)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapController.createNodeHookActions(MindMapController.java:808)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapController.init(MindMapController.java:449)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapController.<init>(MindMapController.java:438)
            at freemind.modes.mindmapmode.MindMapMode.createModeController(MindMapMode.java:56)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

Did freemind maybe not shutdown correctly ?

I'll try to run a ps next time before I fire it up.

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

OK and with the fresh .freemind Dir I got from my last posting I did NOT find an auto.properties file, so I created one containing these 3 lines:
    #FreeMind 0.9.0
    #Fri Dec 07 16:24:38 CET 2012
    onStartIfNotSpecified=MindMap\:/home/me/LINKS/uni/cours/ANATOMIE.mm
    =========================================================================

And I fired freemind up again (and of course forgot the ps … but usaually there should have been no freemind left) and it gave me the desired effect of asking me if I want to convert ?

And I clicked YES and it hangs again! (at the "Loading Maps" state)

OK I checked and I found indeed some dangeling freemind processes that are probably the reason for the 2.) point of my last posting … OR they are the result of it … who knows ;)

So I'll try again:

1.) Kill all "*free*" processes (ps faux|grep free)
    2.) rm ~/.freemind
    3.) /opt/bin/freemind (= symlink to 1.0 ;)
    4.) Same problem as in my last posting 2. point!!
    5.) I closed freemind, started it again: Same problem, just without the first exception on the commandline:

~ % /opt/bin/freemind
    Checking Java Version…
    ===============================================

But once it continued to load freemind, I got again TONS of these exceptions printed on the commandline:

===============================================

Hmmm… I guess something is left beside the *free* processes ?!
    Because I think the very first time I fired up freemind 1.0 today after removing the .freemind dir it came up quick… not 100% sure though.

I'll stop here for now.

Please let me know.

Tormen.

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

Mince I forgot two things:

(a) When restarting freemind 1.0 in my last post (with the LONG WAITING and TONS of Marsch-Melloer Exceptions ;)
    I had verified with ps between two runs of freemind 1.0 and there was NO free processes left running!

(b) In the initial freemind window it hangs at "Creating Initial Mode…" <<< if I translate the GERMAN message it is actually showing "Initalen Modus erzeugen…" ;)

And once it is loaded I can normally quit freemind 1.0

Ok, that's it :)

• Hi Tormen,

it seems that it searches for plugins at strange places. Please start freemind in debug mode (see linux wiki page) or to use the zip release, unpack and start freemind.sh. What was the way, you installed the package? I would need the log file of such a session to see, where it searches.

TIA, Chris

PS: I think that it has nothing to do with your map.

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

Hi again,

Install: Downloaded zip, unpacked it under /opt/freemind and created symlink /opt/bin/freemind -> /opt/freemind/freemind.sh and chmod +x on freemind.sh ;)

Deubg mode:
    removed .freemind
    started:
    DEBUG=1 /opt/freemind/freemind.sh

and got the (expected) hang again.

Waited until it started, shut it down (normally).

Here is the .freemind dir (with the log(s)):
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3pv9GnmTWp5TU9lb3JUU3FrNEE

Hope that helps. Please let me know,

Tormen.

• Hi Tormen,

thanks for your support. It seems that your classpath contains lots of lots of files (perhaps a complete kernel header dir). Please provide
    % echo $CLASSPATH
    and the output of freemind.sh in debug mode.

TIA, Chris

• tormen
    tormen
    2012-12-07

Hi again,

I am very glad to be able to assist improving this great software!

Here you go:

But the CLASSPATH is rather unspectacular :)

~ % echo $CLASSPATH
    /LINKS/java/lib:.
    ~ % mv .freemind .freemind.OLD
    ~ % DEBUG=1 /opt/freemind/freemind.sh &>/tmp/freemind.sh_output.txt

The output of freemind.sh ran with DEBUG=1 freemind.sh_output.txt can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3pv9GnmTWp5T2luY05yTm1wZG8

Hope this helps. Please let me know.

Tormen.

• Hi Tormen,

thank you for your patience. Please, try without  /LINKS/java/lib. Anywhere, you have lots of jars and freemind searches all of them for its plugins. That causes the delay at start.

HTH, Chris

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)