Freemind for iPhone

Zenku
2010-10-26
2013-04-12
  • Zenku
    Zenku
    2010-10-26

So maybe I should read the android post first, or perhaps there should just be a "mobile" thread, but I'd love to see this for iPhone. That is all. Thank you.

• Jim Budet
    Jim Budet
    2011-02-04

I've been using Freemind for a long time and also wanted a version running on the iPhone. So I wrote one that is now available on the App Store.

MinDgo is an free iOS app that runs on the iPhone and iPod Touch. I consider it a Freemind companion app because it allows me to work on my mind maps using either MinDgo or Freemind. MinDgo while on the go and Freemind when my notebook is available. MinDgo 1.0 is a minimalist app. It doens't display the data as maps, and it only supports a small subset of Freemind features. However it also has some pluses including email and Dropbox integration. It is my intention to make it more feature rich in future releases.

Please feel free to give it a try and make suggestions.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mindgo/id416276725?mt=8

• Zenku
    Zenku
    2011-02-06

I sure will Jim. Looks great! I just need to update my OS now that Apple's worked the kinks out of the issues 4.0 was causing for the 3G models. I'll get back to you.

• Anonymous
    2012-06-20

MinDgo is awesome. It works beautifully.

Thank you.

• Jim Budet
    Jim Budet
    2012-07-27

MinDgo (the iOS app for FreeMind) has been updated to v4.1.0. Information about MinDgo as well as a list of changes in this release are available on the product website.

www.code-story.com

• jzelno
    jzelno
    2012-07-27

I've been using iThoughts for iOS mind maps.  It's not free, however ($7.99), but it does provide a freemind-like graphical map interface, and it claims that it can import freemind 0.8.x and 0.9.x maps (and freeplane as well), though I haven't tried that yet.  It looks like they have an iPad version as well iThoughtsHD, though I haven't tried that either.  You can find out more at the following links:

http://ithoughts.co.uk/Start/Welcome.html
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ithoughts-mindmapping/id294144368?mt=8

• Anonymous
    2012-08-14

+1 for iThoughtsHD.  Usability is even better from the latest updates.  I used Freemind and iThoughtsHD together, opening and updating the same documents (not both at the same time of course) in two ways:

1) iThoughtsHD has WebDAV support, so I used File Sharing on the Mac (I think  Lion Server is required for this, I have it).  That way I can use iThoughtsHD to access any .mm files that are available via WebDAV shares on my Mac.  (I used the Server VPN to access them when away from my home network).

2) iThoughts HD has DropBox support - so if I'm willing to keep my mindmaps under a DropBox subfolder, it makes pretty much for an iCloud-like workflow.  There's an option in Freemind to updating a loaded mindmap when it detects that the file has been changed on thefilesystem (which will happen when you push your changes to DropBox in iThoughtsHD).

The compatibiliity in iThoughtsHD for .mm files (and virtually every other mindmap format out there, it seems) it excellent. 

I'll definitely check out MindDgo, but for me so far, iThoughtsHD is just as good as having freemind on my iPad - maybe better.  I also use iThoughts on iPhone (thought not very frequently).  I tried several other mindmap apps on iOS until I found Freemind - and it's definitely the best of those I tried.

• Anonymous
    2012-08-14

oops - two corrections for my last post:

first paragraph, should read "I've used", not "I used".  I still use the second scenario.

last paragraph, should say "until I found iThoughtsHD", not "until I found freemind". 

(
    On that note, I've been using freemind for several years - I've tried several other apps, Java and otherwise, including pricy commercial options.  Nothing beats freemind for me on the desktop. 

The only reason I look around every once in a while is I really wish I could open my mindmaps in separate windows on my Mac, to make them accessible via Cmd-` and Mission Control.
    )