Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Testversion: FreeMind 0.9.0 Beta9

2007-03-04
2013-04-12
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • Dear FreeMinders,

we have a brand fresh new version for you. And to improve the access to it, we placed it into the file release section of sourceforge. Please look here for the new version:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7118&package_id=188772

To name some of the new features:
    * Fit for Java6
    * Nicer Search&Replace, Calendar
    * New "Sort Children" function
    * For hackers: a first version for a script editor is included in the script plugin

• .. continued

Dan Polansky wrote:

"Dear FreeMind users,

we are planning to switch to a new logotype graphics in the coming release, from the existing butterfly design to a new one featuring light bulb on a turquoise background. Before committing ourselves to the new design, we would like to know your opinion on the new design. Please let us know how you like the new design and whether you would be severely disappointed if this new design is the one released in the coming version. To let us know, please write to the following forum thread:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1686869&forum_id=22101

To try out the new design for yourself, please download FreeMind 0.9.0 beta9 from

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7118&package_id=188772

To see both designs in comparison, see the wikipage

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Light_bulb_and_butterfly

"

• lkraav
      lkraav
      2007-03-04

thumbs up for the new design. definitely fresh and cool.

although the color scheme could use some sunny warmth! brainstorming is always better in warm conditions instead of freezing your arse off.

• Dear FreeMinders again,

to explain the logo switch:

A year before, we decided to "renew" the butterfly logo and started the search for a new logo image.

Later, Dan and me decided to take the light bulb you can see in the current beta version.

But, unfortunately, after starting to implement the new logo, I got doubts, if the new logo was suited for FreeMind as it addresses more technical minded people than the butterfly, which stands for free, easy and art.

As Dan and the author of the new logo Frank Appel, invested a lot of time and we initially decided to take the light bulb, you get the new version with the new logo.

Please, take the chance to write your opinions about it in this thread.

Thanks,

Chris

• Hi FreeMinders,

but, please, remember the Beta status of the release. Although I've create the installers, it is for testing purposes and may contain severe bugs (which we definitively do not hope!).

Our plan is, to start releasing the release candidates for 0.9.0, soon.

Chris

• jcd
      jcd
      2007-03-05

Hello All,

The logo is neat, and it gives me two ideas :
      - first, in the "About Freemind" menu, why not display the logo ?
      - second, why not use this logo as a background picture on the "map zone", but with very, very pale blue not to bother brainstorming concentration of the user?

I was used to use the Alt+N for toggling notes, but having both Ctrl+> and Ctrl+< for notes is not bad. Just need time...;-)

I have discovered that "search and replace" is inside the "history" menu item. Why not rename it "search within the history" or something like that ?

Ahh, I need to know : How can I participate in translating menu items and buttons ? I have just suscribed to Freemind Wiki, but the main page seems to be protected...

Best regards,
         Jean-Charles.

• Ed Philpott
      Ed Philpott
      2007-03-05

Regarding the new logo, the choice of an incandescent light bulb is unfortunate with several jurisdictions encouraging people to switch to compact fluorescent. The old style light bulb sends a message that perhaps FreeMind is also old-fashioned and obsolete. IMHO, you should stick with the butterfly.

Ed Philpott, Ottawa, Canada

• Paul McClellan
        Paul McClellan
        2007-03-05

Thank you for updating the content and style of the logo.

The butterfly was abstract to say the least, and a style that's not harmonious with current *nix, Mac & Win desktop styles.

The new logo uses the light bulb nicely as a symbol of ideas & light, while very subtly referencing the old butterfly shape in the filament.

the universal reaction of those non-technical folks with whom I've shared FreeMind is "which logo is FreeMind, the butterfly thing?  Why?"

I think this will be a little more clear.

Thank you, your hard work on these nice details is appreciated.

• lkraav
        lkraav
        2007-03-05

yes, excellent point about the environmentally non-friendly lightbulb! the lightbulb can definitely stay, but it really should be the energy saving one!

• Ryan
      Ryan
      2007-03-05

I think the new logo type and graphics look superb, a big step forward in attaining a professional look and feel for FreeMind (I think potential business users will be impressed).

This is not to say that I think the old graphics did not look great too. And I will miss that good old butterfly. But that is the nature of progress...

So my vote is for the new graphics. But not to be too impudent; I would love to see a mock up of the new graphics with a white butterfly instead of a light bulb. If not, I support the light bulb logo.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Ken Robertson
      Ken Robertson
      2007-03-05

G'day folks,
      The logo - well I don't dislike it, but I find it quite dark.  I do like Ed Philpott's comment about the compact fluoro, but I suspect the subtlety would be lost at most commonly used logo sizes (does anyone actually use tiles or thumbnails in Windows Explorer?)

The Web icon and Splash screen look much more recognisable, maybe because of the extra white.  (and the font works well too.)

I also agree with Jean-Charles that the logo could be reinforced in the About dialog, but that's probably being a wee bit self indulgent.  However I don't support the use of a background logo in the main window - no matter how pale - that's a place for work, not distractions.

Hey - I'm a total philistine when it comes to things artistic.  The choice of logo wouldn't make me use FreeMind any more or any less, but being able to discern a recognisable icon on a crowded desktop might make the occasional day a tiny bit easier. 

Kudos to the guys who produced the icons, I envy their talents.

--
      Regards
      Ken

• jcd
      jcd
      2007-03-05

Hello All,

I would like to add my opinion to what Kenrob said :-)

It seems that more and more people are using FreeMind as a "business mapping" application and not as a "Mind Mapping" one. If you go on Mindjet's site (main product : MindManager), they explain that they detected two separate uses of such a tool :
      - Mind Mapping is definitely art-related. The idea is to mix writing and drawing know-hows to allow more exhaustive personal expression. Look at this site (in french, but Babelfish can do miracles, isn't it) : http://www.petillant.com, you will understand what I mean. There is a "pleasure" dimension that cannot be avoided.
      - Business Mapping : The one who uses such formal representation is less personally involved in what one is writing. It is just a way to get more order in the documents with formal maps. The topic is to re-use the map in conjuction with the agenda, the mailer, etc...In my opinion, "attributes" are a great step towards this goal.
      Actually, we should know if FreeMind should be a business or a mind-mapping tool...;-)

Now, about the background picture, why not create a menu item "choose the background picture". There would be :
      - Default : blank page
      - BP1 : New Freemind logo
      - BP2 : New FreeMind environmental logo
      - BP3 : Old Freemind logo
      - BP4 : parchment-like sheet
      - BP5 : browse a picture in my files, etc...

Best regards,
          Jean-Charles.

• Lee Davis
      Lee Davis
      2007-03-05

Thanks for the update.

Just to say that neither Ctrl Shift < nor Alt N seem to work for me in hiding/showing the Notes window.

Am on XP.

Lee

•   Me likes the butterfly: why not a butterfly inside the light bulb? (that's the problem with democracy: always an annoying frivolous request yet to be addressed :-)

• Lee Davis
      Lee Davis
      2007-03-05

I changed my key settings to

Ctrl Shift Comma so that when I press Ctrl+Shift+"the key with < and ," on it
      I get the Notes window being toggled on and off.

Still not sure what Alt N does that is different?

Lee

• Lee Davis
      Lee Davis
      2007-03-05

Sorry to you all - OK I get the Alt N thing - if toggles the *focus* between the current node and the note editor window. The Ctrl+Shift+< (or comma in my case) toggles the *visibility* of the note editor window.

BTW the latter does nothing if the cursoe is actually in the Note editor window - presumably this is by design?

I think I'm getting there!

Lee

• jzelno
      jzelno
      2007-03-05

I vote for the butterfly.

• jcd
      jcd
      2007-03-06

Hello All again,

Just a word on my preceeding post : the URL does not work fine, because the machine included the comma at the end of the URL, sorry...
      About the color of the logo : have you tried "indigo" or "purple" ? They are good mixes between "hot" and "cold" colors...

Best regards,
         Jean-Charles.

• Ryan
      Ryan
      2007-03-06

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to test this new version at the moment (hope to soon though).

However if the OOo Writer export has been fixed/improved this would help me out with the project I am working on.

Could somebody please let me know if this feature is now working correctly? (My dial up connection is slow, and I am not familiar with installing different versions of the same software in Linux)

It would really save me some time and be a great help if someone could let me know?

Thanks,

Ryan

• Gabriel Birke
      Gabriel Birke
      2007-03-06

I like the new lightbulb style - except for the splash screen. It's too cold and clean. The old splash screen has
      a) a friendly-lookung animal (butterfly)
      b) some warm color
      c) some catchy words (fast, free, easy, study, plan, mindmap)

• Dave Torok
      Dave Torok
      2007-03-07

The F8 key is not working properly for applying the "Format/Physical Style".  On my machine (Windows XP SP2) it is changing focus to the "Notes" section divider bar (the one with the up/down triangles), even if the notes section is closed/hidden.

Is this a default Java/Swing behavior to change the focus?  I want my F8 style key back!

• Dave Torok
        Dave Torok
        2007-03-07

F6 is also not working, and seems to prevent any further styles from being applied to the node until some other node is selected.

• Hi,

F6 and F8 bugs are corrected in CVS. Thanks for the bug report,

Chris

• jcd
      jcd
      2007-03-07

Hello All,

First I wanted to show you a particular light bulb, here : http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/a/ab/Plasma_globe.jpg
      It needs just to put the keywords "manage, plan, imagine..." in front of the electrical bows, isn't it ?

Second, I must admit that I have the same problem for F8 key : It toggles me to notes, and I have to edit first (F2) then press F8 to have "green" node.

Best regards,
          Jean-Charles.

• jcd
      jcd
      2007-03-07

Hello Christian, Hello All,

I have used the "Ctrl+T" calendar : thanks for the new tool !
      Unfortunately, I put rich formatting "Alt+R" on a node and then I use Ctrl+T to put the current date on this rich node, and it seems not to work. The clock alarm is working, but not the writing of the date : Is it a known behavior ?

Best regards,
         Jean-Charles.

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)