I am thinking about adding support for CMake build tool to the FreeImage. I would like to ask you about your opinion? I've created patch for current CVS version.
I have good experience with this build tool and we are using it for several years. My objectives why to add support for CMake:
- Does not break current build process, only CMakeLists.txt is added to the each directory
- Can generate project files for the Visual Studio (no need to maintain several .sln/.vcproj files)
- Build process can be configured, e.g.:
- LibJPEG, Zlib, LibTiff - could be used as external libraries or internal versions (as it is now).
If application is using other imaging library (e.g. Leptonica) it would be good to use only single LibJPEG library.
- It works on *nix systems
- It allows to simply build FreeImage in three modes:
* static build
* single FreeImage.dll
* multiple DLLs: FreeImage, FreeImageJpeg.dll, FreeImagePng.dll, FreeImageTiff.dll, FreeImageZlib.dll
What do you think about this idea and my patch?