Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Stand-alone app? Uh, where?

Help
Byron
2006-09-08
2012-10-26
  • Byron
    Byron
    2006-09-08

The project description boasts that it offers a stand-alone Swing client. But the only file available for download just has a .war file.

I admit, I haven't dabbled with the dark side of Java (J2EE, EJB, Servlets, etc.) - can a WAR file be launched just like a JAR file?

• Victor Anyakin
      Victor Anyakin
      2006-09-08

Greetings,

yes, the project does have a stan-alone application module. Unfortunately, it is not released yet. In case if you wish to use it, you should get the latest sources, build the project and make a binary assembly in 'app' module. After you do this, you should get a .jar file which can be used as a stand-alone SWING app. Unfortunately, the assembly does not a Main-Class property in META-INF file, so, you shoul have to explicitely pass it to JVM:

java -cp freehost3270-app-0.2-CURRENT-bin.jar net.sf.freehost3270.application.ClientLauncher

Or, download this JAR file from here: http://www.geocities.com/anyakinvictor/freehost3270-app-0.2-CURRENT-bin.jar
      (this is my development build)

With best regards,
      Victor

• mauro
    mauro
    2012-05-07

Victor, I use the jar that you provided in the link it is still licensed under
    GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, correct?
    I could also repackage the source in a standalone jar, but will I be covered
    under the GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE or it would be considered a
    derived work?
    Thank you :) :)

• Victor Anyakin
    Victor Anyakin
    2012-05-08

Hi Marma66,

You are asking a legal question I am not qualified to answer properly. The
    license was inherited from the previous project owner (and its creator).
    Probably if you repackage the sources, the license will remain the same.

Thanks,
    Victor

• mauro
    mauro
    2012-05-08

Thanks for the prompt reply. :-)
    All I need is a jar file. No need to change the code.
    So who is in control of this initiative? I can repackage it as a jar and
    contribute to this project.
    Thank you !

• Victor Anyakin
    Victor Anyakin
    2012-05-10

Hi Marma66,

Then I guess that yes, the jar file will be also licensed under LGPL terms.

According to the recent traffic on this message board, I am the only one left
    here...