FreeCol is an open version of Colonization. It is a Civilization-like game in which the player has to conquer the new world.
Version 0.8.0 of FreeCol, a turnbased strategy game, has now been released. The largest change introduced by this release is the ability to define gameplay mechanics using XML-files. You can easily change the rules you don't like or create a different game similar to FreeCol. Take a look at chapter 10 "Changing the Rules" in our manual if you would like to know more.
- Allow the game to be customized using XML-files.
- Units now slide between tiles while moving.
- New terrain graphics.
- Menu music added.
- Sound effects for dragoons, artillery capturing a colony, building complete, church and blacksmith.
- New sound effects for artillery and buying/selling goods.
- Short music clips for Aztecs and fountain of Youth.
- Named regions and nicer placement of native settlements.
- New nations added: Portuguese, Swedish, Danish and Russian
- Games with up to eight European players are now supported.
A complete list of features and bug fixes for this release: