Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Caatinga

KeplerBR
2013-08-21
2013-08-29
  • KeplerBR
    KeplerBR
    2013-08-21

In northeastern Brazil, there is exactly one "desert" as currently in this game, but a biome called caatinga. More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caatinga
    In its graph, could have a land whiter, with some plants, and provide more food. Other differences could be implemented.

There are other small details on the map that does not correspond with reality. Can improve and send here to be implemented in the next version of the game?

Last edit: KeplerBR 2013-08-25
  • Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-08-22

caatinga

This could be done. However, it would require adding another tile-type. I am not sure that is a good idea if only one actual tile needs that type.

There are other small details on the map that does not correspond with reality. Can improve and send here to be implemented in the next version of the game?

Certainly, but only if you modify the current map, not anything in 0.10.7 or earlier releases. The current map already has several changes from what was in 0.10.7, and no one will be interested in merging your changes with the existing ones, that is really tedious work. The current maps are available with git here.

• KeplerBR
    KeplerBR
    2013-08-25

I downloaded the map America_large.fsg and Caribbean_basin.fsg, but when I open it in FreeCol, an error occurs.

I forgot to do something?

• Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-08-25

The log file at pastebin does not contain any error messages, so it is hard to tell what happened. However, you said "open it in FreeCol" --- the files you mention are just map files, not full games. You need to open them in the map editor, loading them as a normal game can not work.

• KeplerBR
    KeplerBR
    2013-08-25

I meant "open the map editor in FreeCol". When I try to load the map, reports an error. The maps standards FreeCol normally open.

Sorry my bad english.

Last edit: KeplerBR 2013-08-25
  • Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-08-25

Whatever the error is it is failing silently, which is a bug in itself. I just fixed an unrelated bug with current trunk and can confirm that it can load the map successfully, so if you are able to build from source that is a way to make progress.

• KeplerBR
    KeplerBR
    2013-08-26

I managed to run perfectly here using NetBeans, I'm more accustomed to working.
    In a few days, I am sending you to the map that I update.

Thanks for the help.

• KeplerBR
    KeplerBR
    2013-08-27

Expected me to make more changes, but they were few.

• Added 2 land of lakes representing the Lagoa dos Patos and 1 representing the Logoa Mirin

• I applied some rivers, to maintain proportionalities

• On the coast of northeastern Brazil, replace that desert for Savannah and Rainy Forest

• Ampliquei the Falkland Islands, to become more proportional

• In the extreme south of Chile, replace some tiles of forest tundra

Thought I'd add islands Fernando de Noronha and Florianópoles, but because they are so small, I thought it best not

To me based on changes, used this map and Google Earth.

All right? Any suggestions?

Last edit: KeplerBR 2013-08-27
    Attachments
  • Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-08-28

Looks good. The thumbnail.png was empty but I fixed it, and did some other minor format cleanups (e.g. the map editor is still including the specification, which it should not). The result has been committed (git.dcbc26f). Thank you for your contribution to FreeCol:-).

• KeplerBR
    KeplerBR
    2013-08-28

How well the map editor included the specification? I do not understand this.

• Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-08-29

The map editor saves a Game, not just a Map. The Specification is a property of a Game, so it gets saved. IMHO this is wrong, but it is a FreeCol bug, not a mistake on your part.