Move away from Java

2013-02-26
2013-03-25
  • BarneyFifeFan
    BarneyFifeFan
    2013-02-26

I know this would be tough, so don't think that I am trying to ask something I don't understand. I have been increasingly concerned by the security problems inherent in Java. However, I really like playing Freecol. I know it's possible to put sections of other types of code within Java. Using this technique, would it be possible to gradually move away from Java to, say, C++ or Python (both of which are cross-platform)?

• Greenknight32
    Greenknight32
    2013-02-27

Very good point. Although the security problem is with the Java browser plugin - which isn't used by Freecol, and can be disabled - people are being advised to uninstall Java completely by many security experts. Oracle keeps patching it, but more Java exploits keep being discovered. At this rate, Java may be on the way out.

• schwitzkroko
    schwitzkroko
    2013-02-27

So obviously you two guys are now the C++ or Python core developer team? ;-)

• Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-02-27

...would it be possible to gradually move away from Java

Speaking for myself only, I would only support moving away from Java if there were suitable high quality automated language translation tools so that the job could be mostly done in one big hit. Spreading the pain out in time does not appeal.

people are being advised to uninstall Java completely...

IMHO this is overkill. It was never a good idea to run Java in a browser, and the only surprise here is that it has taken so long for this to become widely apparent. Java is still a perfectly acceptable language for standalone applications.

At this rate, Java may be on the way out.

Dont hold your breath. The installed base is huge. Java will outlive us all, like Cobol.

• Greenknight32
    Greenknight32
    2013-02-28

As a programming language, no doubt Java will survive. It's the browser plugin that got it installed on most home computers, though. Would make FreeCol less attractive if people didn't already have the runtime installed.

This probably will blow over, but it's something to think about for the long term. I hope those automated translation tools are available if it comes to that. I'd like to help, but my forays into coding haven't gotten far - terrible with syntax. :(

• BarneyFifeFan
    BarneyFifeFan
    2013-03-02

I could do a little work on those lines (simple things only). Just tell me what files I should start with. By the way, what version of Java is this written in? Those converters are different depending on the version.

Last edit: BarneyFifeFan 2013-03-02
  • Not intentionally trying to be outright negative, but this is a stupid idea. Porting from one language to another is anything but "a little work" or "simple things only".

It's important to remember that FreeCol also runs on (at least) 3 very different platforms in terms of GUI, something that is quite literally a pain in the "anatomy" to do in most languages (including Java) and even more painful to attempt to convert automatically.

In this thread I haven't really seen a single good argument for why any other language would outperform Java in terms of playability. Mixing languages is an even worse idea than doing a big-bang conversion, it increases the complexity of the toolchain, reduces the ease of debugging as well as (most importantly for open source projects) reduces the number of eligible programmers. Rather than being a project where skilled java programmers can contribute you now require java+"other language" - effectively decimating the pool of programmers.

However, I'm not married to Java in any way - just saying that the idea of any automatic conversion actually being successful without huge amounts of code inspection and manual kludging is (to me) farfetched.

Last edit: Andreas Landmark 2013-03-03
  • Hello.

• Hello...