New Founding Fathers for FreeCol 2.0

Jeffrey
2008-06-04
2013-08-23
  • Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
    2008-06-04

I don't think you could rightly have a 2.0 without adding in some new Founding Fathers. Here are some ideas and suggestions:

Toussaint Louverture - Increases the likelihood of slave revolts, and makes revolting slaves more deadly when they happen. This founding father would not be desirable if your nation has slaves, but it would be useful for undermining other players which do. Also, maybe he could give a bonus to Liberty Bell production or something.

Sacajawea - Assuming the game implements some sort of attrition model, I think her effect would be to enable you to resupply some of your units in friendly native villages free of charge (or something like that).

Lewis and Clark - This produces a special sort of scout unit which is faster and suffers less attrition that regular scouts, and when this scout unit enters native villages it helps to ease tensions with that tribe. After a certain length of time, the unit would either vanish or revert into a regular scout.

Eli Whitney - Allows the creation of Cotton Gins, and also increases the speed which muskets can be manufactured. He would only be available late in the game, but that ability to make guns much faster would be extremely helpful during the war for independence.

• John Pozniak
      John Pozniak
      2008-06-23

I don't see why Sacajawea, Lewis and Clark, and Whitney would be added, as they were all active after the US revolution was already over. But I do agree, a new game needs new founding fathers. How about:

Junipero Serra (1713-1784) - Serra was a Franciscan Friar, the founder and president of the Spanish mission chain in California. Serra founded nine of the California missions, and walked the length of the province of Alta California several times to administer the sacraments to the neophytes at the missions. When Serra joins the Continental Congress, Missionaries gain +1 movement, and are no longer "expended" when founding a mission.

Antonio de Mendoza (1495-1552) - Mendoza was the first Viceroy of New Spain, and later was the Viceroy of Peru. He established the Colegio de Santa Cruz and the Royal and Pontifical University of Mexico, the first two universities in the Americas. When Mendoza joins the Continental Congress, colonies can build Colleges.

Peter Claver (1580-1654) - Claver was a priest in the port city of Cartagena. As new slaves arrived in the port, Claver ran out to meet them, carrying food and clothes, and took the sick to be treated at his hospital. Using interpreters, Claver instructed the slaves in Christianity and baptized many into the faith. When Claver joins the Continental Congress, each colony with slave laborers improves cross production by 25% and the chance of a slave revolt is reduced.

William Petty (1623-1687) - Petty was an economist and politician in Cromwellian England and Ireland. By observing construction practices in use in Dutch shipyards, Petty formulated improved production efficiency through labor specialization and division of labor. When Petty joins the Continental Congress, production of luxury goods in colonies increases 25%, and the number of hammers needed to build ships at colonial shipyards is reduced 25%.

• Michael Vehrs
      Michael Vehrs
      2008-06-24

As has been pointed out elsewhere, you will not have to wait for FreeCol 2, since the 0.8 release will enable you to define new Founding Fathers. Some of the above suggestions could be implemented now. To give an example:

<founding-father id="model.foundingFather.juniperoSerra" type="religious" weight1="2" weight2="10" weight3="10">
        <modifier id="model.modifier.movementBonus" type="additive" value="1">
          <scope ability-id="model.ability.expertMissionary" ability-value="true"/>
        </modifier>
      </founding-father>

• A new suggestion :

Samuel de Champlain (1567 - 1635), Founder of Quebec City.
        He opened North America to the fur trade and established good maps thanks to his alliance with many tribes of amerindians.
        bonus : trade(fur trade) or exploration (maps) or politics (alliance)
        For example :
        <founding-father id="model.foundingFather.champlain" type="exploration"
                             weight1="7" weight2="5" weight3="3">
              <modifier id="model.modifier.nativeAlarmModifier" type="percentage" value="-30"/>
              <modifier id="model.goods.furs" type="percentage" value="50"/>
              <event id="model.event.resetNativeAlarm"/>
            </founding-father>

• Jeffrey
      Jeffrey
      2008-07-01

"I don't see why Sacajawea, Lewis and Clark, and Whitney would be added, as they were all active after the US revolution was already over."

Yes, but the game is not intended to simulate history, and in some games maybe independence won't be acheived until 1800 or 1810 or something. Those individuals I listed weren't active long after the U.S. became independent. If I had listed Abe Lincoln or Mark Twain or something I would see your argument, but Whitney invented the Cotton Gin in 1794 and the Lewis and Clark Expedition took place during the first decade of the 1800s, so they aren't that far fetched, imho.

• Lalochezia
      Lalochezia
      2009-02-06

Carried over from duplicate thread and edited a bit (I drank a lot of coffee):

Charles Gravier, the comte de Vergennes -  He fought both the monarchy and the British.  A secret rebel through and through, Gravier will aid your revolution by adding 5-10 muskets to every colony for five years.

"...In what we would today call a covert operation, the French foreign minister, the Comte d’Vergennes, in June of 1776 established a dummy corporation, Roderique Hortalez et Cie., to funnel arms clandestinely to the rebels. By early 1781 the French had provided the rebels with over 4.5 million livres worth of supplies and another 846,000 livres in subsidies through Hortalez & Company. In the first months of 1777 alone the Hortalez company sent out eight ships via Martinique, with 200 brass cannon, 300 flintlock muskets, 100 tons of gunpowder, 3000 tents, ammunition, and clothing for 30,000 men. It wasn’t embattled farmers the British were facing, it was embattled farmers with covert arms shipments."

Nathaniel Bacon -  Clears 2-4 Indian-owned squares from a colony's control radius and makes  them the player's.    (If slavery is ever a part of FreeCol, Bacon will reduce slave chance of revolt).   Nathaniel Bacon incited "Bacon's Rebellion" in 1674 wherein he claimed all Indians were parasites.  The revolt was comprised of 500 armed slaves, free whites, and land owners.  He died of dysentery before the British Navy arrived to crush him.

Oliver Evans - Prolific early inventor that improved the flour mill, the grain elevator, dock dredging equipment, and a number of other inventions including one of the first "high-powered" (FIVE horsepower) steam engines.   Adds +1 grain to every colony & +1 fish to every colony with docks.

John Hancock - allows player to ignore two boycotts from the monarch and move past privateers without slowing down.

"In 1768 his sloop Liberty was impounded by customs officials at Boston Harbor, on a charge of running contraband goods. A large group of private citizens stormed the customs post, burned the government boat, and beat the officers, causing them to seek refuge on a ship off shore. Soon afterward, Hancock abetted the Boston Tea Party."

Haym Solomon - immediately grants player 750-1,250 (random) gold per year for five years if the monarch ever sends royals to suppress the Revolution.

One of the only Jewish characters in this part of American history, legend has it that he penned the Constitution. A very wealthy Polish banker who believed in American Democracy as the only way Jews could ever be recognized as equals among their peers, Solomon allegedly lent almost every penny he had to the American Revolution and also allegedly negotiated a massive loan from the Rothschilds without which the revolution may not have been won. 

Francis Cabot Lowell - increases the production of weaving houses and shops by 50%.
      Early industrial magnate. "On a visit to England in 1810 at age 36, Lowell carefully studied the textile industries of Lancashire. He was not able able to buy drawings or a model of a power loom, however, he memorized the workings of British power looms."

Peyton Randolph - One of the founding fathers of the Randolph plantation empire and President of the First Continental Congress. Increases production of tobacco and cotton by 50%.

Phelps Dodge - Operated an import-export trade business that shipped U.S.-grown cotton to England in exchange for tin, iron, copper and other metals essential for growth and development of the new American nation. It grew into a megalithic metal empire. Increases tool production by 25%. Increases ore production by 50%.

Robert Blake, General at Sea - Improves defensive capability of all unarmed ships by 50%.

The father of the Royal Navy, Blake was a great 17th century admiral who led many campaigns & blockades against Britain's enemies, to great success, and was a renowned destroyer of pirates. 

Francisco Pizarro - 1) When a player declares war on Indian nation the nation will return to peacefulness in 5 years. 2) Can pay Indians to declare war on one another in the trade dialog box.
      Treacherous, lying conquistador that betrayed many people and razed many Incan cities to the ground.

• David Nuttall
    David Nuttall
    2012-10-18

I know this thread has not been used in a while, but I thought adding to this would be the best way to go.

Founding fathers inspired by Canadians:

Issac Brock:  Increases defence of fortified units (maybe +50% or so)

General Issac Brock (1769 - 1812) was a British general stationed in Upper Canada from 1802 until his death at the battle of Queenston Heights during the War of 1812, where British forces were still victorious.  His victories at the Battle of Detroit and the Battle at Fort Mackinac earned him a knighthood and the nickname of the "Hero of Upper Canada."

John Alexander MacDonald:  Increases travel along roads.  Movement along a road uses 1/4 movement point instead of 1/3 of a movement point.

John A. MacDonald was one of the driving forces behind Canadian confederation and became the first prime minister of the newly formed Dominion of Canada.  He helped establish the Canadian Pacific Railway to connect the eastern and western provinces with efficient transportation and communication.

Charles Tupper:  A schoolhouse is automatically built in town with at least 4 colonists.  This is similar to stockades being built with de la Salle.

Charles Tupper: The premier of Nova Scotia who established universal elementary public education for all children in the province.

• Misiulo
    Misiulo
    2013-06-04

I see many interestig suggestions here, particularily in Lalochezia's post.

Except: Bacon to REDUCE Chance of slave revolt?!!

I suggest adding founders with brand new functions rather then disabling an option just to require a new founder to enable it again.

Players hate nerfs! :)

I'm starting to feel, taht we need a list of Effects the game is in Need of and then choose Founders to cause them.

Last edit: Misiulo 2013-06-04
  • I would like to see a full set of founding fathers similar to "Henry Hudson" who have an effect on economic production. Instead of only one commodity, furs, having a bonus, it would be nice if each commodity had a founding father that gave it a bonus.

I like Lalochezia's suggestion of Peyton Randolph, who would increase tobacco production, and Fracis Cabot Lowell, who would increase cloth production, as well as Jeffrey's suggestion of Eli Whitney to increase production of cotton.

One of the advantages of having a founding father who substantially increases the production of grain, tobacco, cotton, furs, and sugar is that it would help the game reflect the economic changes that took place in the colonies as different commodities grew in importance. Consider that in 1763 the French traded Canada for continued control of three sugar-producing Caribbean islands. Thus, a player who early acquired Peyton Randolph would find themselves initially focusing on tobacco planting, but as the price of cigars gradually lowered, would find themselves having to switch gears, much in the same way that tobacco was the United States' initial cash-crop, but that cotton ultimately grew to pre-dominance.

I would suggest Squanto as the founding father who increases grain production, and Christopher Columbus as the founder who increases sugar planting (he was the one who brought sugarcane to the West Indies).