Logistics

TJWhale
2012-01-02
2013-01-10
  • TJWhale
    TJWhale
    2012-01-02

Hey,

Firstly thanks to everyone who has worked on this project, I am really enjoying playing the game and look forward to what it's going to become.

One thing that is frustrating in the game I am playing currently is having a lot of automated wagon trains moving around, it takes a lot of computation and the game can get jerky when I've got ten to fifteen running different routes.

Can I suggest that there be a building in future versions, maybe called a waystation, which has the effect of permanently linking two colonies stores of resources.

Maybe it's effect should be that and two colonies that have waystations and are linked by roads or rivers share their storage capacity and amounts of any resource. Ie their resources are pooled.

I think this would represent two established colonies where the trade routes are so well established that things can be shipped back an forth with ease.

I think this would give the game a nice feel, on the frontier you would have to use wagon trains to move things but in your heartland they would be moved automatically.

The building could be expensive (or maybe be a second level to the customhouse) to mean it can't be used too easily or too early on.

Hope this is helpful, anyone got any ideas about this?

Thanks

Jon

• Michael Vehrs
    Michael Vehrs
    2012-01-04

I see the advantages of your suggestion, but automation would make it impossible to ambush wagon trains.

• David Nuttall
    David Nuttall
    2012-04-22

Like the customs house makes it impossible to ambush ships carrying goods back to Europe.  I like the parallel.

• Michael Vehrs
    Michael Vehrs
    2012-04-29

Fair enough.

• Jay
    Jay
    2012-05-19

I'll weigh in and say I don't. Tiny ships on an enormous ocean and wagons running on roads (or worse, slowly cleaving giant paths into the brush - there's something to mimic: slow them down more dramatically than other units in bad terrain) have too little in common. The later should require regularly posted armed guards to work and disrupting the guards should cut off communication.

If a few tiny lines of code running wagons back and forth is eating up significant resources, though, that's a problem.

• Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2012-05-19

I think the waystation idea has merit, although I am not entirely convinced a complete linkage of colony resources is sensible.  Better would be that two colonies with waystations can automatically export storable goods to each other (we would need new selectors on the warehouse panel to control this).  I think we should also insist that a continuous road be traceable between such colonies.

> If a few tiny lines of code running wagons back and forth is eating up significant resources, though, that's a problem.

1. AFAICT the code for trade routes is not consuming significant resources.  However it is also not insignificant: any time a unit must move automatically to another location, a map path finding routine is called to find the optimal path under the current circumstances.  The path finding routine uses a highly efficient algorithm, but the number of possible paths between two locations can grow very fast once they are well separated.  This may be the source of the `jerkiness' referred to above, or the cause may just be a display problem.  We have had both at various times, and would need some profiling data to be able to tell for sure.

2. ``a few tiny lines of code'' is a laughably inaccurate description of the full complexity of the trade route handling, which has proved to be one of the surprisingly hardest parts of the FreeCol client to get to work.

• Jay
    Jay
    2012-05-19

2. ``a few tiny lines of code'' is a laughably inaccurate description of the full complexity of the trade route handling
    If you say so.

I look at something that deliberately heads towards more dangerous areas (coasts instead of open seas) and has to hit dangerous objects (privateers, frigates, soldiers) before they stop to await new instructions; see something that is entirely useless; and avoid them altogether.

But it's still a work in progress, and we do all appreciate the work you guys are doing.