Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Running on Windows 8

Help
Joe K
2013-08-11
2013-08-13
  • Joe K
    Joe K
    2013-08-11

I've tried a couple different times to download 0.10.7 onto my new computer (a Samsung ATIV Book 4), which runs Windows 8, and while I've been able to get the program open every time I try to start a new single-player game I get an error message saying "the connection to the server could not be made" once I have clicked ok for the difficulty level. I haven't had this issue with other computers or operating systems - any tips as to how to get FreeCol to function on Windows 8?

• Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-08-11

The most likely cause for that error message is that your network configuration is preventing the Freecol client from talking to your server. Check your logs, perhaps looking for denials on port 3541 which is the FreeCol default port. Further than that I can not help with as I do not run windows.

• Joe K
      Joe K
      2013-08-11

Thanks! Although, not to be classically inept or anything, but how do I go about checking the logs?

• Evgeny
    Evgeny
    2013-08-13

Think, it is a weird text file in "My Documents/FreeCol/" folder, if you use Windows OS.

• Mike Pope
    Mike Pope
    2013-08-13

That would be the FreeCol log file, which is not going to be helpful here, it will just show that the client could not find the server which we already know.
    I suggested looking at the network or firewall or system or whatever windows does logs, of which I know nothing including where they are is even whether they exist.

• Greenknight32
    Greenknight32
    2013-08-13

Windows doesn't make it easy. Apparently you have to enable logging, as explained here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj717291.aspx . There's links on that page to how to create new firewall rules

Easier way is to install a program that provides a UI to control the firewall. In Win 7 I use Windows Firewall Notifier, but I'm not sure it works in Win 8. MajorGeeks has another, Windows Firewall Control, does work in win 8 for sure.

You could also install a different firewall and disable the Windows firewall, but that's more work - and the Windows firewall works just fine, just lacks an easy way to control it.

Last edit: Greenknight32 2013-08-13