jEdit project needs Java developers (other language expertise is helpful too)

Alan Ezust
2014-03-17
3 days ago
  • Alan Ezust
    Alan Ezust
    2014-03-17

jEdit is a very mature project - it was started over 15 years ago and is
    one of the oldest active projects on sf.net.

It is called "The Programmer's text editor", because it supports many programming languages. Written in Java and Swing, it is 100% open source and runs on mac, windows and linux.

A number of the original developers are gone.
    There are a lot of plugins that are not maintained by anyone anymore.
    There is a lot of code in jEdit that nobody has "taken ownership of".
    There are quite a few open bugs and feature requests which are unassigned.

There is a lot of work to do, but we need more people to get it done.
    I am happy to help new developers get started.

http://www.jedit.org/?page=devel

• DKMudrechenko
      DKMudrechenko
      2014-03-23

Greetings, I am interested in jEdit. I have never participated in projects before, however I am very passionate about being a part of one and a fast learner. (I know Python, Java, some C/C++). Please let me know if you are still looking for someone.

• Grepppo
        Grepppo
        2014-04-04

Hi

I have been a jEdit user for many years, and a java coder since 1.3, I have contributed to jQuantlib before and I'd be happy to help out with jEdit too.

• Hi, I am interested in working with this project. I haven't participated in open source projects before and I think this will be a great start. I have around a year industry experience in Java. I know some basic Phyton, C/C++, PHP. Please let me know if you are still looking for some help to participate in this project. If so, I would also appreciate some guidance in where to get started. Thanks.

• Zeapo
      Zeapo
      2014-05-30

Hi there,
      I'm intersted in jEdit since it is (was?) an awesome editor. I use emacs and vim all the time, but if we can bring jEdit to the front scene that would be awesome.

I am familiar with Java but I code all the time in C++, C and Python.

Keep in touch :)

• zzhd
      zzhd
      2014-06-02

Greetings, I am interested in jEdit Project. I have 10 years expericences in Java, C/C++, Perl, Ant and CCNet. Presently work as software engineer. Let me know if you still need developer for jEdit. Thanks!

• bcube
      bcube
      3 days ago

Hi. I am interested to help you with this application. I study IT and I know good JAVA language. Please let me know if you are interested. Regards.

Sorry for my English :)

• Ebrahim Salehi
    Ebrahim Salehi
    2014-05-17

Having about 10 years of Java development ex[erience, I'm ready to contribute

• Guillermo Keil
    Guillermo Keil
    2014-05-18

Hi
    I have 15 years of C programming and now have formal training in Java but newby in this. I want to contribute to this project.
    Please , let me know how to start.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

• mandarj
    mandarj
    5 days ago

Hi!
    I have been into open source and development for quite a long time now (3-4 years). I can program in Java, C/C++ and a fair amount of python.
    I would like to contribute to this project.
    Please tell me how to start and what to do.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edit: mandarj 4 days ago
  • doug5791
    doug5791
    5 days ago

Hi!

I am a senior Computer Science student with Java and C++ experience for the past 5 years or so, depending on the project I am working on, as well as dabbling in a long list of other languages and some experience with Git.

I have not been involved in an Opensource project before, but I am eager to learn and get experience beyond what my current internship is offering. If someone would be able to provide me with some guidance I would love to participate in jEdit.