integrate Java and C++ processes

Amanda Ge
  • Amanda Ge
    Amanda Ge

Hi everyone,

I''ll post some of my discussion with Paul here. Appreciate all your thoughts.

I'm up with the task of converting some existing Java code and C++ code to FBP. Our Java group would have full control of the Java side but not the C++ side. From the past experience (nightmare) of JNI coding/debugging, I think using the concept of FBP to isolate the Java and C++ threads would simplify things.
    Listed in my email to Paul:
    - FBP can be implemented in any languages.
    - Java components and C++ components can send messages mutually.
    - Reducing JNI method invocation is a great saving.
    - Avoiding native threads calling into Java will save BIG debugging efforts.
    - Could be combined with Jace - a free, open source toolkit that lets you easily write JNI code.

Paul responded, "are you saying that we could have Java processes talking to C++ processes in the same network?   If so, how would a C++ process talk to a JFBP Connection, which is a Java object?  I'm guessing that you can invoke a C++ module from a Java Thread, and somehow pass it the handles of one or more Java objects, which would look like pointers? "

Some direct anwsers to the latter 2 questions:
    - Any C++ object can invoke Java objects' methods, vice versa, through JNI.
    - The mappings of objects or primitive data types exchanged between Java and C++ are done in JNI library, and simplified in JACE library. Yes, pointers or references in C++.

My thoughts on the first question now is a little different. Practically I don't want to rework any part of our large C++ codebase. So I tend not want to have C++ processes as first-class citizens in a network. A Java wrapper component would provide the functionality of the C++ code to the network. The "Network" Java class only knows about Java objects anyway. Inside such a JNI component (contrary to pure Java component), Java wrapper component's execute() method can then invoke native methods in C++ library through raw JNI or JACE interface.

Of course the situation is different if the C++ code is already first-class FBP processes using some package like THREADS. Then integrating the Java processes and C++ processes into one network would be the matter of making some "JNI connections". I haven't thought throught the details on that.