Play DVD movie with WMP12 and ffdshow in Win7

Help
2012-11-03
2013-04-15
  • Hi guys:
    Recently, I could play DVD movies with Windows Media Player 11 in Windows XP. So, I install ffdshow and set MPEG2 Codec to libavcodec and checking DVD decoding.
    Then, I tried this with Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit, but just I get the message:
    "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video."
    Other players such as VLC, MPC-HC, SMPlayer, etc. can play DVD in my system. But, how do I make WMP12 play DVD movies?
    Thank you very much.

• clsid
    clsid
    2012-11-05

Microsoft has deliberately disabled that functionality in the Home Basic version.

• Hi,  Titohotline, I'm sorry to hear that you are having basically the same problem that I experienced last spring. I was using FFDShow with a LED sign software program for my church. I started have the same problems as you, in addition to my Microsoft games and any Windows player not playing.

I had to do an entire system restore of my computer.  How frustrating and what a mess!

I was told that while FFDShow is not the problem, but I was given a workaround, which I haven't tried. (I haven't been able to reinstall the church sign software, and only use FFDShow with that program.

Here is the workaround: Use these setting:
    ffdshow options => DirectShow Control => enable "Don't use ffdshow in" and "Show
    dialog when an unknown application tries to use ffdshow"
    (do this for both audio and video decoder)

Now you should get a message whenever an application tries to use ffdshow. It
    will give you the option to allow or deny.

Good luck!

• Thanks guys:
    Unfortunately, clsid2 is right.
    The guys at Microsoft Answers confirmed that the MPEG2 codec ffdshow will not work on my Windows 7 Home Basic. I have only two choices to play DVDs:
    1) Use a third player in my Windows 7 Home Basic, or
    2) Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium and use the default MPEG2 codec to play DVDs in WMP12 or WMC.
    Thanks.

• Titohotline, I was using Windows 7 Home Premium and experienced the same problems as you did, so I'm not sure if spending extra money on an upgrade would work, unless they've created patches or updates to fix the issue. (Again, my FFDShow/Winodows Media program problems happened in May 2012.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

• Toody:
    I already tried the combination of Windows 7 Home Basic + VLC Media Player, and also, Windows 7 Home Premium + WMP12. Both work perfectly.
    Greetings.