ffdshow for MKV Files in Windows Media Center

Help
Joe Pool
2011-12-28
2013-04-15
  • Joe Pool
    Joe Pool
    2011-12-28

I need to install ffdshow to enable MKV files to play in Windows 7 Media Center (WMC).

However, when I go to install the product, I do not know what options to select. WMC plays all my other content just fine, and I do not want to break something that is already working.

Step 1 of the install ask me which components I want to install. By default, "VFW Interface" is all that is selected. What is that? Is this for "Veterans of Foreign Wars"? Just kidding, but you see my point: I don't know what to install or how to configure this for my PC.

My PC: ASUS EB1501 Media PC (Atom Dual Core, Win7 Home Premium)

• Joe Pool
    Joe Pool
    2011-12-28

Update:

I found some info about setting up ffdshow here: >> ffdshow Installation and Configuration <<

However, it only walks through the screens. It does not say what selecting one option does verses selecting another option.

All I want to do is enable MKV (Matroska) files on my HTPC.

• clsid
    clsid
    2011-12-28

You need to install a splitter for parsing MKV files. ffdshow is only a video/audio decoder.

VFW = Video For Windows, a technology used for video encoding/editing
    The main component in the install is the ffdshow DirectShow filter, which is always installed.

I suggest you use for example the K-Lite Codec Pack. That contains all the stuff you need and is easy to set up.

• Joe Pool
    Joe Pool
    2011-12-28

Actually, the first codec pack I tried on my HTPC was K-Lite, but I was not able to configure it.

I removed K-Lite and installed the  CCCP. It seemed to work OK for a while, then stopped after Windows did an update. I never was able to get it to work again.

I removed it, and installed Shark007's pack. It had my system up and running, but always gave problems with the audio (sounded like the speakers were in a barrel). Slowly, some of my media files stopped playing.

I removed the Shark007 pack, and installed K-Lite. When I did that, I lost the ability to play any AVI file through Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player.

I removed the active partition and reinstalled Windows 7, because nothing was working.

This time, I want to steer clear of codec packs, which configure systems to what "most people have" (see Why Codec Packs Are Bad). My HTPC is NOT was most people have. I have an Atom processor using the NVIDIA ION graphics processor.

So, thanks for the input, but I am not going to use a codec pack this time around. All I want to do is get the bare minimum to enable MKV files.

If I can't do that, I'll just convert all of those files to another format.