Boneheaded decisions

2005-02-03
2013-04-03
  • Roshan Diwakar
    Roshan Diwakar
    2005-02-03

Never use unpopular languages to develop. I know open source projects are started by developers who have an itch to scratch, but if feedreader was developed using a popular language like C++, or C# or Java it would have been easily picked by others and really improved. Sad to see a great product die because some moron(s) chose Delphi

• Maybe there is improvement but you can not see it?

What is your point? What did you contribute?
      You know nothing about the OSS process itself, especially about the developers of FeedReader.
      So please crawl back in your hole from where you came.

There are other feedreader projects in the languages you named. Go there and troll them.

• Jkl-sem
      Jkl-sem
      2005-02-04

I do wish somebody would continue development, this is an excellent project that's been sitting on the back burner for too long.  Anyone know what's up with the developers?

Hey guys, if you want a Paypal donation from me then update your app!  In particular this bugger needs to startup at a decent speed with a lot of feeds... currently it's a real headache for those who like subscribing to hundreds of feeds at a time.

• Jkl-sem
      Jkl-sem
      2005-02-04

Edit -- Karsten I see you're one of the developers, my apologies for not noticing.  So is there any chance a new version is coming soon?  This is an app I would be happy to pay for, if I knew it was still in active development (once a year updates != active) ;).

• Roshan Diwakar
      Roshan Diwakar
      2005-02-04

My point is exactly what I have written. A great project/product (cue: praise) has been killed because some idiot chose to develop this in delphi(cue: constructive criticism). Thank God Linus Torvalds didn't decide to code in delphi or lisp just because he thought lisp would be cool.
      If the original developer's intention was to master delphi then they succeeded(although, it is no good for the end user), but if their intention was to create a maintanable product they have failed(and as a end user of a public product I have every right to rant)

• Your method of trying to spur change is not at all unique. However, it is generally viewed with the contempt it deserves. Insulting the developer(s) in the hope that they will change their behaviour is hardly ever productive. Indeed it's more often counter productive.

As for having a right to rant, I believe that you've got the right to say whatever you like. You can complain about the freely available software that you've paid nothing for, insult people and generally make people have a bad time as much as you want.

When things get pushed and you've generally got better things to do with your time (mowing the lawn, tending to the baby, invading poland, or discovering cold fusion) things get cut. Developing for fun is one of those things. If you really love it then you make the time. If people insult the time you do spend on it, then you begin to question why you're wasting your time on such things.

Your entire purpose seems to be to say "Delphi was the wrong language to use". And your method of saying it is to insult the author, along the way invoking Linus' name as if doing so gives a justification to it.

• Sven
      Sven
      2005-02-08

NEVER tell a developer what language to use just because you are using it. I don't like Delphi, too, but I think c++ is even more "unmaintainable" (in c++ you can produce highly cryptically code that is not understandable to even the author after 2 days). Borland is long enough in the market to make Delphi a good language to develop long term projects without the risk of missing support.

• I have developed in Z80 and i86 assemblers, FORTRAN IV and 77, COBOL (IBM, and Micro-Focus), BASIC (several implementations), and Pascal (P system, several versions of Turbo Pascal beginning with Turbo Pascal for CP/M).  I have toyed (as in fixed or written code in but not truly developed) in several others and scripted in almost everything except REXX, PHP, and RUBY. 
        If there is one thing boneheaded about developing in any specific environment or language, it is to select one that you AS THE DEVELOPER cannot secure, support, or maintain.  They are ALL good for something, or they would not all exist.  If this one is most comfortable maintaining DELPHI code, then that is the correct choice.  If you want to argue that, you need to develop and maintain a few projects yourself first so that you know what you are talking about!

• At the moment i'm designing a successor or Feedreader.
      If there is something to show, i will post on this board.