FEBRL used in record-linking projects

Ron
2008-06-15
2013-04-17
  • Ron
    Ron
    2008-06-15

Is anyone aware of any other organizations or groups using FEBRL for record linkage projects? I work for a provincial government agency in British Columbia, Canada. One of the growing areas of interest is in linking records from various administrative databases (e.g., from education, income assistance, health, child welfare, corrections, etc.). To this point, researchers here have used self-written software modules. My supervisor has asked me to investigate other possibilities, with the conditions that the options should be desk-top and relatively inexpensive solutions, well-documented and fairly simple to use.

I have found FEBRL to be an ideal solution (desktop, free, well-documented with an interface), although it might require a bit of an investment up front in learning the Python programming language. I have read the Australian National University publications (Peter Christen et al.) and investigated their website at length. I have experimented with their software extensively. I and have even examined other record linking options (e.g., VisionWare, AutoMatch, SAS) which I have conclued are either too complex and/or too expensive for our purposes.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other organizations using FEBRL for their probabilistic record linkage projects. If you know of any organizations and perhaps have URLs to their websites or email addresses to contact, I'd really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks for any help you can give.

• Robsteranium
      Robsteranium
      2008-07-05

I work on behalf of governmental agencies in the UK.

I commonly link databases of companies to aid in the research and development of business support services.

I've just started exploring febrl and it seems highly promising!

http://infonomics.ltd.uk/?q=firmergence