Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Still alive?

2006-10-31
2013-04-03
  • Hello,

I just wanted to ask if this project is still somehow alive. I'll have my degree next semester and I'm programming a library for ODF files as a degree project, which is why I was initially interested in fastjar. Though, the code as-is is not really usable as library, that's why I started 'porting'/rewriteing it. Kind of reinventing the wheel, though in this case it seems like that's totally OK as there is *no* documentation on this stuff available -- at least not findable for me.

First, if anyone is interested, I'd like to contribute-back the library code, once it's finished. Second, I wanted to ask you, toast, if you have any resources/documentation regarding JAR files apart from the ZIP/zlib and Sun 'documentation'?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Alex

• Bryan Burns
      Bryan Burns
      2006-10-31

Well, I'm not dead, so I'm alive in that respect.  I haven't touched the fastjar code for years though.

If you want to contribute back to the code, I can add you to the project and you can check in as you please as long as you don't break the CLI interface.

I don't have any additional documentation on the JAR format.  When I wrote fastjar (7 years ago) JAR files were simply .zip files with an optional manifest file inside.  I have no idea what has changed over the years, if anything.  I wasn't able to find any useful information on ZIP files back in 1999 so I reverse engineered the format as best as I could.

Let me know if you want to be added to the project so you can check in code..

-Bryan