Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Permissions/Ownership Issues

Help
2006-11-03
2013-05-02
  • Hi,

I'm having a little trouble with the writing-side of my ext3 partitions.
    I have a fresh ext3 partition that i wish to use as file storage between OSs (read/writeable from both OSX and linux) and at the moment, despite being mounted 'writeable' and having 'ignore permissions' checked, Get Info still shows it as being "you can only read" (and the 'details' bit is missing).
    This means whenever i attempt to put anything on there (or do anything with anything on it) i need to supply admin password, and functionality such as creating new folders in finder is not possible.
    So, i've decided the best solution would be to change partition ownership to my OSX user (will this work?).
    How do I go about doing this?

thanks,
    josh

• whoops! forgot:
      using v1.3 with OSX 10.3.9

• OK never mind.
      chown on the mount point directory worked just fine :)

however, the 'details' bit is still missing under Get Info, which is still a little annoying. Is there a good reason why it's like that, or is this a bug?

while i'm at it, i thought i'd also mention that i'm having to use e2label to make the partitions appear as not UNTITLED / ?. I'm guessing this isn't supposed to be necessary?